Chapter Seventeen

“I must have forgot.” Elliot shrugged casually as he chewed on his toast.
“See?” Said Wyatt, glaring at Ben.
“But what about the beeper? Didn’t it vibrate when the zombie just wandered in?” Asked Ben.
“Yes, it did. That’s why I came and saved the day. Remember that, Ben? When I killed the zombie and saved Eva?”
“The guy who carries a zombie beeper around with him just forgot to lock the front gate? Do you really think I’m dumb enough to believe that?” Asked Ben, raising an eyebrow at Elliot.
“Me thinking you’re dumb has nothing to do with this.” Elliot smirked. “I’m telling the truth. I went out yesterday to do a check of the outside perimeter, and your stupid mutt ran after me. I had to grab him and pull him back inside. I must have forgotten to close the gate after that.”
I opened my mouth to defend Dixon, but Jo spoke before I could.
“Well, that settles it then!” She clapped, pleased with Elliot’s explanation.
I could see from the way Ben was glaring at Elliot that he still wasn’t convinced.

Wyatt hadn’t even looked my way all morning. I sat next to him at the table, trying not to feel the tension between us. In fact, I was trying not to feel the tension between everyone sitting at that table, but it was impossible.
Ben was suspicious of Elliot, Wyatt was furious at both me and Ben, and Jo was furious at Ben, too. Try as I might, I couldn’t stop my suspicions either.
The only one who seemed happy today was Elliot, who hadn’t stopped smiling since he came into the kitchen.
“Eva, can I talk to you for a second?” Wyatt said as he stood up from the table and started heading for the door.
“Um, sure.” I said, following him outside.
“Ooh, a lovers' quarrel, is it?” Elliot said. We ignored him as we stepped outside and closed the door behind us.
Wyatt sat on the steps of the porch as he began to speak.
“I’m sorry you don’t trust my brother.” He said, solemnly.
“Me too.” I replied as I sat next to him. “I really want to trust him, I do. But I just can’t shake this feeling that something’s not right.”
Wyatt sighed and held his head in his hands. “Me too.” He muttered from behind his palms.
“What?” I asked, thinking I must have heard him wrong.
“He seems… different.” He said. “I thought maybe he’s just spent a bit too much time on his own in the forest, but after seeing how happy he was that a zombie got in… I think he’s lost touch with reality a bit.”
“Why didn’t you say something last night?” I asked.
“And give Ben the satisfaction of being right? No way. He’s been an ass ever since we left Melbourne.”
“Well, he did lose his parents. He’s had a tough few days.” I said.
“I’ve lost my parents. I’ve had a tough few days. Hell, we all have!” he said, throwing his hands up into the air. I nodded, knowing he had a point. “We’ve all been through hell, but he’s the only one causing trouble.”
“I’m sorry, man.” A voice said from behind us.
I didn’t need to turn around to know it was Ben.

I cringed, hoping he wasn’t about to start another argument.
“I’m really sorry.” He said again. “I know I haven’t been the best person to be around lately. You guys all seem to be handling this craziness so well… and I feel like I’m losing it.”
“Ben, we’re all losing it.” Said Wyatt.
“It’s true,” I added. “How could we not? I’m one more zombie away from a complete breakdown. I have no idea how the hell we made it this far.”
“Really?” Said Ben, genuinely surprised.
“Really. We’re all hanging on by a thread. It’s not just you. That’s why we need to make an effort to be good to each other.” I said, reaching up to hold his hand. “We’re all we’ve got now.”
Ben thought for a moment, and held a hand out for Wyatt. “Sorry, man.”
“Me too.” Wyatt said, shaking his hand.
“I’ll stop hassling your brother. I’ll keep my big mouth shut.” Ben said before going back inside.

Wyatt and I looked at each other, hardly believing what just happened.
“You know?” I asked. “Maybe we’re all a little bit nuts right now. But if we all don’t stop fighting, we’re gonna end up going all Lord of the Flies on each other.”
Wyatt chuckled at my bad joke, and I was glad to make him laugh.
“Truce?” He asked, holding his hand out.
“Truce.” I agreed, shaking his hand. He wrapped his arm around me and kissed me on the head.
“Good. I couldn’t stand not talking to you for another second.”

That night, I was woken up by a long, loud creak followed by a thud in my room.
I sat up in bed, looking around my empty room. The door was still closed and locked, as was the window.
Must be the wind.
The sun was rising, so I decided to get up, make myself a cup of coffee and enjoy the view from the front porch before anyone else woke up. It had been a long time since I had lived with other people, and I had already begun to cherish the rare peaceful moments by myself.
I quietly stepped out into the hallway and wandered into the kitchen, switching the kettle on. Gazing out the kitchen window, my heart skipped a beat when I noticed something walking up the driveway.