part 6

The party, it's tonight! Wow, this is gonna be, well, interesting. I asked my mom about it, she seemed fine and since she's visiting my sister in Uni I guess it won't matter what time I get back. I called Jasmine and retold her the entire story she didn't even utter a sound.Completely gob-smacked.

"You're not kidding right?"

"Not in the slightest." I grinned through the mouthpiece.

"Damn, I gotta come gate crash this party. Could you ask Richar-I mean Rex if I can come too?"

"Only if you actually remember his name."

"I'll try."

I grabbed my cellphone and asked Rex if Jasmine could come. But then I stopped. He hadn't seemed too pleased that even I was coming although he invited me. He called me this morning asking for details, his voice was placid even bored. I remember giving him my house number and all I could do was laugh nervously. Damn sometimes I can be such a fool.

"Jas, I don't know if I can, maybe just crash it anyway. Mom'll be with Maria for three days you an come stay over If you like."

"You're scared he doesn't dig you, huh? Well I think he does and sure I'll crash at yours."

"Great, come over now and lets get ready!" I put done the phone and walked over to my mom who was in her room packing.

"oh, maureen I'm glad I caught you. Plans have changed I need to spend a little more time with Maria, she needs some support at the moment." Her eyes were red.

I felt a lump in my throat. I hated seeign my mother cry.

"Yeah sure, take as long as you need."

"Okay, I'll call tonight." She swept me into a huge hug.

"Give Maria a huge sisterly hug from me." My mother laughed.

"Jas, is coming over tonight by the way."

"Good, she's a good girl."

My mother left soon after, telling me the usual: Don't have sex, but if you do make it safe and don't under any circumstances throw parties in the house. I nodded numbly, the excitement of tonight knawing at my innards. I ran inside and poured myself a huge glass of water and got to work. Before Jas came I'd need to organize clothes and shoes and make-up, god there was so much to be done! Just as I started tugging at my hair I heard the doorbell ring, finally. She took her time.I lunged for the door knob and began telling her about how I'd smack her in the cheek if she ever showed up late again, I opened the door about to jump on her but came face-to-face with two dark eyes. Oh god. Rex?

"wha- i'm not that late am I?" Damn, I thought he'd pick me up at 8, but it was only six thirty now. He was wearing black jeans and a long sleeved black shirt that made his arm muscles bulge beneath the fabric. Then I realized I was dressed quite plainly. I wore a pair of old battered rugby shorts and huge shirt that belonged to my father before he passed. Rex didn't seem to be looking at my clothes he stared straight into my eyes.

"I thought that maybe I could stay here for a while before the party starts." He drew in a haggered breath.

"I-uh sure thing, Jasmine is coming over too I hope you don't mind her crashing the party."

"No, I'm sure Noah won't mind." Noah? That must be his cousin. I opened the door wider for him to pass, as he did, I caught the faint smell of pine. I shivered. Rex delicately sat himself on the edge of my sofa trying not to look at me but seemed to be studying 'housewives guide to the world of dating' magazine that lay sprawled on the coffee table.

"Can I get you anything?" All I wanted was to feel him again, his strong arms around me and the soft touch of his lips.

"Some water would be great thanks." At that moment the doorbell rang and I dashed over to the door. This time it was definately Jas. I flung it open and pushed her outside with me.

"Woahhh, Maureen! I know you love me but-" She giggled.

"Jas, Rex showed up early! He's in my lounge now. So please don't make a fool of yourself or me. okay?"  Her mouth made the shape of a perfect 'O'.

"Omg, really?! How are we gonna get dressed?"

"We'll occupy him with T.v. and do stuff in my mom's room. Got that? No funny buisness." She nodded but I saw her smirk as we walked through the threshold.I turned to Rex.

"Rex, Jasmine and I are gonna get ready. You can watch some T.v. or read." His eyes flickered to the 'Housewives guide to dating' magazine.

"Alright, take your time," He looked me dead in the eyes," Not too long though." I grinned.

I grabbed some things off the sofa and realized my bra was lying at the top of the pile I grabbed it and tried to supress a blush. Annoyingly I think Rex noticed. He smirked.

"What you grinnin' about Mr Garcia?" I glowered and dissapeared up stairs and closed the door to my room.

"Maureen Shepherds you are a dirty, dirty girl." Jasmine had her hands on her hips and grinned down at me from my bed. She wore plain tracksuit bottoms and a tank-top, her hair was hoisted into a messy ponytail.

"What are you on about Jassy." I said walking over to my stereo and turned it on, Beyonce blared.

"The fact that he looked at you and his eyes said 'sex'." She cocked out her hip.

"I have no idea what you're on about hun, and we gotta get ready!" I dashed over to the vanity table on the far side of my room and tugged at my messy tangeled hair which, I too, put it into a high ponytail. Jasmine meanwhile dressed into a thin blue dress that hugged her fantastic curves. She loosened her hair so it fell around her face like a halo of curls.

"why is it that you always look so, fantastic?" I glared.

"Well my dear, I think it comes naturally." She spun to face me, all curls and hips.

"I have no idea what to wear, besides we better hurry." I glanced anxiously at the door. I hoped that Rex was okay. Jasmine laughed and flung my wadrobe doors open and gazed at the utidy mess of clothes. 

"ohh!" She shrieked and flung a pair of leather trousers in my direction. They were skin tight and glinted under the lights. Those were a good choice.

"Oh and you have to wear heels, you'll be so short otherwise." That I have to admit was true. My height was often questioned at festivals and the like.

"Fine, but they ahve to reasonable, not insane heels like you tend to wear." I raised an eyebrow in her direction.

"Yeah, yeah. And wear this top." She handed me a black floaty tanktop that I pulled on over my shoulders. Then I tugged on the trousers with some effort. Finally I buckeled some black ankle boot heels. Jas did our make-up and finally we were ready. My stoamch twisted. Would Rex like my outfit? Or would he be revolted? Jasmine ran down first giggling hysterically. Clucthing the single silver chain around my throat I made my way down the stairs praying I wouldn't trip. Jasmine was at the door grinning up at me her eyes flickering from mine to Rex. Rex. I met his eyes. They were wide open and I noticed his body tense. A tiny unwilling smile hovered over his lips.

"Maureen-" He broke of and took in a deep breath.All the while I saw Jasmine grinning from ear to ear. Then his eyes went cold. A sort of blankness took over his entire body.

"Those look a bit unhandy." He motioned towards the heels. Instead of remorse or embarrasment I felt a red hot anger fill me. I glared at him.

"Well you're not the one having to walk in them." I stormed out past a horror stricken Jasmine.

"Maureen-"  Jasmine began but I had already started down the street at a quite unbelievable pace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------