Chapter twenty three- Into the Maze

"Judar! Are you alright?!" Jekyll rushed over to his master, astonished by the amount of blood covering the clearing.

"Did it work?" Judar asked, groaning as the servant helped him to stand.

"It did, yes," Jekyll nodded. "It was quite the process, it even scared Saber off. I'm relieved that I was able to remember the correct ingredients I used in life to change back..." His eyes landed on Cassim's body as they slowly walked past, "What happened here, by the way? Where's Alibaba Saluja?"

"He escaped into the maze," Judar replied. "I killed Cassim here, and Alibaba got a pretty good hit on me."

"Was this 'Cassim' a mage as well?"

"No, but it hit pretty close to home for Alibaba."

"You're rather cruel, Judar," Jekyll sighed sadly. "Are we allowing Alibaba Saluja and Saber into the maze?"

"We don't have a choice, I'm kinda bleeding here," Judar reminded bitterly.

"Right. What are we going to do about your wound? I know a few healing recipes, but I don't have the right ingredients."

"We need to go to Hakuryuu's. He specializes in Life magic."

Jekyll nodded, "We should stop at the school so I can temporarily bandage your chest first."

"Fine, let's just get going before someone else shows up."

~

Alibaba ran down the long, dark, staircase as quickly as he could, not looking back or stopping to breathe until he reached the bottom. He was stunned, to say the least, to see that the walls had disappeared, the open space seemingly never-ending.

"Kid? You down here?"

"Saber? I'm here!" Alibaba responded to his servant's calls.

"What the hell is this place?" Saber breathed as he stopped beside his master, marveling at the open space around them.

Alibaba looked around, just as baffled, "Al-Thamen's base, I guess. Or at least what leads up to it."

"Where's Cassim?"

Alibaba took a shaky breath. Now finally standing still, he began to notice how sore his throat was and how much his eyes were burning. His limbs were sore, and his hands felt weird. He felt weak and tired, mentally and physically. I think I used too much mana at once...

"Master?" Saber pulled the teen from his thoughts in a concerned tone.

Alibaba shook his head, "I'm fine... Cassim is... Judar...killed him."

Saber nodded solemnly, changing the subject for his master's sake, "Let's get going. I'd like to get out of here quickly; gives me the creeps."

The teen nodded in agreement, "Yeah...alright."

The pair continued down the long, open, corridor, surprised to see a large iron door at the end. Saber placed a hand on it and examined it, "What the hell is this door?"

"Can you open it?"

"'Course I can," Saber spoke, and to support his words he easily pried the door open. It screeched, trying to resist the servant with all it had, yet fortunately lost the battle, revealing another dark hall inside. Saber entered first, making sure Alibaba stayed close behind.

"There are no magic barriers," Alibaba observed.

"Must mean they're depending on their security guards to keep people out," Saber replied.