Chapter 11 - History Tourist

JESSE

"You guys are talented artists! Look at these!"

This morning I'm hosting a kid's birthday party in our yard. I was hesitant because I don't have any experience with children, but Sue made some numbers, and it could be a steady source of income for me.

The mom told me that the birthday girl loves butterflies, so I taught all her guests how to make them out of clay. While the pieces were drying, they all sang the birthday song and ate cake and snacks. Then the parents sat on our patio set to enjoy some coffee and sandwiches while the kids painted their works of art.

"You are a brilliant teacher and host, Jesse. She is a big brat; that is never happy with anything, and she loved everything you planned today," the birthday mom says.

I feel a bit surprised at her comment. She called her kid a brat! I wonder what Mom told people about me. I was naughty as a child.

The guests eventually go home. After tidying the backyard, I look at my watch, and it is a quarter past one in the afternoon. I still have time to make a trip to the market.

"Sue, Eric, I'm going to the market. Do you need anything?" I say as I come into the store.

"Let me make a list for you. There is another storm on the way, and I want to make soup," Sue says as she writes quickly on a sticky note.

"I'm glad that I finished the repairs at the adventure cabin yesterday," Eric says while dusting some shelves. "If it gets as bad as the last time, it wouldn't have survived. Can you bring me a bag of candied nuts?"

"Sure," I say and put Sue's note in my pocket.

I consider taking my car for a moment, but who am I kidding? I won't be able to park anywhere during the Saturday market. I walk towards the center, and the weather feels so damn hot and sticky. The sure sign of what is coming later.

"Hey, Tom!" I say to my fruit farmer friend.

"Jesse, your usual?"

"Yeah, plus two baskets of strawberries."

Tom weighs and packs my fruit. I see Juan walking with a girl towards me. Daisy will get pissed if he sees him. The girl in question is kind of cute with her long brown hair, flowery dress, and reading glasses.

"This is your guy," he says, referring to me. "Jesse Garnett can tell you all about Clover Village."

"It is very nice to meet you," the woman says, offering a hand that I shake. "I'm Sierra."

"Nice to meet you as well. Juan, can you get this for Sue?" I say, handing him the note. Juan and his father own the biggest market stall, with many produce.

"I have everything but the chicken and the nuts," he says after reading it.

"Oh yeah, I will get those myself. Thanks, I will be there in a bit," I say, and then he heads to his market stall. "What can I help you with?" I say, turning to Sierra.

"I'm doing some research for a book. There are so many of them about the city or the seaside, but almost none of the villages. Clover is my last stop. I was looking for some older residents, but your friend Juan told me that your family has lived here for generations."

"That is right. We are the fifth generation of Garnetts. My great-great-grandfather moved here to work on the railway construction, and we are the lasts in line."

"Fascinating! What else can you tell me about the village?"

I tell her everything that I know about the buildings and the people. I did research on my town's history and buildings for my thesis. I don't consider myself an eminent historian, but I graduated with honors, so it must count for something.

Sierra records everything that I'm saying on her mobile and asks me interesting questions. We make our way through the market, and I introduce her to everybody.

"You should also speak to Mrs. Constance. As the owner of the B&B, she probably has enough anecdotes to fill your book. Old Simon as well. God knows he gets interesting people at his restaurant."

"I love all of this. I almost fell jealous that you got to grow up here. I come from the city, and sure enough, we have plenty of history. I miss the sense of community that you have here," she says while I pick the last of my shopping.

"It has his advantages and disadvantages. If I misbehaved as a kid, my mom would hear about it before I got home."

"Were you a handful?" She says, smiling at me.

"According to her, I still am."

"Why does she think that?"

"When I drink, I get very affectionate. Just last week, I gave a kiss on the cheek to a bouncer at a club. My mom would have been terribly embarrassed by that. I honestly don't remember doing that."

"Do you drink often?" She asks, looking suspicious. I better be honest instead of her hearing a twisted version from somebody else.

"Maybe once every few months. I used to be out of control a few years ago and had a hard time getting back on track. I'm alright now, and I can enjoy alcohol, but I don't need it."

"Good for you," she says, patting my arm.

"We live at the end of the main street. I can show you the house where the Garnetts have lived for generations. My siblings and I run a shop there and live upstairs."

"Yeah! I would love to see it," she says, and we walk to my house.

The sky is getting grayer as we approach the house. As we come inside, I find Sue and Eric looking at one window.

"Is everything alright?" I say.

"Hey, Jesse. Yeah, I just had to fix one shutter. There was an updated weather alarm, and it will be a nasty one again. We need to move things away from the windows before we close the shop. If something busts a glass pane, we can lose inventory," Eric says.

"Okay, let's do it. Guys, this is Sierra. She is writing a book about the village, and I have told her everything that I know. These are my siblings, Eric, and Sue."

"Pleased to meet you. So this is the room that used to be the living room?"

"And an office and grandpa's library. We donated the books to the village library for everybody to lend and enjoy. The old office is now storage," Sue says.

"That is thoughtful, and this room is beautiful," Sierra says, walking around and taking in the place. "And you make these crafts?"

We all nod and I feel proud.

"Sierra, we will close soon. Would you like to stay for dinner? It is only chicken soup," Sue says.

"Jesse told me about. I can't say no after seeing all the fresh ingredients. Can I help you?"

"Sure! Come with me."

The ladies go to the kitchen, and Eric and I move the merchandise to safe places. We head upstairs after finishing, and find Sue and Sierra chatting happily while chopping ingredients. The scene is cozy. Sierra looks at me and smiles. I admit I don't want her visit to end.