17.

Chapter 17.

"Ice cream?" I asked, realizing what parking lot we'd just pulling into. Glancing over at the clock, I realized I only had another half an hour before I had to be home. It was already 9:00.

Dylan nodded, pulling into an empty space right by the doors. "Who doesn't love ice cream?"

I giggled, unbuckling my seatbelt. "Sure, but doesn't this place close at 9:00?"

"9:30," he corrects.

The air inside the ice cream shop was cool, and there were only a few people inside the shop besides us: the workers, a young high school aged kid, and a couple over in the corner.

The worker at the counter was younger, probably about our age. She looked up from a notebook she was scribbling something in. Her lips curved into a small smile as her eyes fell on the guy standing next to me. "Dylan? What are you doing here?"

I quirked an eyebrow at him. How did he know this girl? What town were we in?

"Abby, hey." He smiled at her, his hand brushing against mine as he wrapped his fingers around my own.

Abby's gaze fell onto mine, and a hint of jealousy flashed in her eyes for a second. I wished I could tell her that Dylan and I were just friends, and this wasn't a date, but there was no easy way to do that.

"What can I get you guys?" she asked with a false smile.

I looked at the menu. All of it looked pretty good to me. "I'll have a snack-sized fudge sundae."

The worker, Abby, punched the order into the register before looking up at Dylan. She raised an eyebrow slightly, as if she already knew what he was going to get.

"I'll just have a medium drink."

No ice cream? I narrowed my eyes at him. I thought we were here for ice cream.

Abby laughed. "You're the only guy I know who comes to an ice cream shop for a drink and doesn't get ice cream." She put in his order before looking back up. "$5.29 is your total."

Dylan ignored her comment about not getting any ice cream, reaching into his wallet and handing her a crisp $10 bill.

I had to agree with her. Why didn't he order any ice cream? It was his idea to come here.

"4.21 is your change," Abby said, handing him his change as well as the receipt. "You haven't changed a bit."

I wondered what that comment meant. Dylan took the money and turned towards me, completely ignoring Abby's comment. "Is fudge sundae your favorite?"

I shrugged, taking my ice cream and his cup off the counter. "I like any and all ice cream."

Dylan smiled, taking his cup from me. "Figured you would like ice cream," he said, walking over to the soda.

"Why didn't you get any?" I asked, following behind him. "Who goes to an ice cream shop without getting any ice cream?"

Dylan chuckled, looking at me out of the corner of his eye. "I don't actually like ice cream."

"What?" I laughed. "Then why are we here? You said yourself before we even came in, and I quote 'who doesn't like ice cream'?"

"Me," Dylan said with a smile, filling his cup full of Mountain Dew.

Behind me, I heard a familiar laugh. "He also hates puppies and bacon, in case you were wondering."

I whirled around to see Luke standing right behind us. Unfortunately, the rapid movement had also flung my ice cream out of my hands and all over Madison.