Chapter Twenty-One

So it's short and I might combine it with the next chapter, but have a hectic social calendar for the next three days so I hope I can upload again tomorrow, If I can't, I'll put up either the first few parts of Em and Seb's story, or Imogen's... :)  hugs xxx

Chapter 21

By law it was imperative that forty days should at least pass between the contract and the marriage; during which dreary interval the couple, leashed together like two young greyhounds, would have time to think of the future.

~ The Habits of Good Society: A Handbook for Ladies and Gentlemen (The Last London Editor; 1860)

“Look! Look!” Sophie Weatherly commanded excitedly, bouncing on the balls of her feet as she pointed frantically out the windows of Henry’s study. “Look! Here they come now!”

Henry and Delores joined Sophie by the window where she had been acting sentinel since Gabriel and Victoria had disappeared into the trees. With some surprise, Henry bore witness to his ornery, arrogant grandson holding hands with his obnoxiously belligerent ward. Not that he didn’t want this to occur, but he had had serious doubts that it would occur as suddenly as it had. Looking at them now, strolling amiably towards Hawthorne, fingers laced together, one would never had thought that a couple of weeks ago they could not stand the sight of each other.

“Oooooh,” Sophie cooed, squinting hard through the glass, “they’ve had a good romp, they have!”

Henry rumbled with laughter while Delores frowned disapprovingly at the mad old bat who had uttered those offensive words. “I hope,” she told Sophie, “that you are incorrect.”

As she spoke, Henry watched as Gabriel ceased his easy lope and leaned in close to Vicky, plucking what looked like leaves and twigs from her decidedly tousled mop of hair. Henry thought that Sophie was quite right in her observations. It confirmed them in his mind when Vicky suddenly threw her arms around his neck and planted a kiss on his lips that was definitely not acceptable for societal standards.

“Oh, God,” Delores bemoaned also witnessing the unchaste embrace. “This was a terrible idea, Henry! We should have known Victoria’s scruples were as loose as-”

Sophie cackled delightedly. “They,” she declared, one gnarled and pointy finger thrust into the air for enunciation, “seem to me like a couple in love. Fear not, I am confident they will marry!”

“Sophie is right,” Henry told Delores with a grin. “I am quite sure they are engaged, so we must not add to Victoria’s embarrassment by letting on we are aware of what went on this morning. They will marry, I am sure of it now.”

The two people on the lawns began ambling slowly towards the house again, hand in hand, when something Victoria said to Gabriel made him suddenly haul her over his shoulder and carry her to a nearby bush, her laughing screams carried up to them.

Henry and Delores politely turned their backs to what thereby ensued. Sophie, she of little shame, stared on blatantly.

“Perhaps we should go down to breakfast,” Henry suggested, clearing his throat, “and wait for them there.”

“I concur,” Delores agreed hastily.

Sophie, on the other hand, had to be physically manhandled away from the window.

***

Vicky was quite sure she was in love.

This feeling of lightheaded giddiness, of utter contentment in Gabriel’s company, could only mean one thing.