Ch. 32: The Hufflepuff

     Christmas break flew by like a Fwooper in the wind, taking the Winter Break right along with it. Before I knew it, the semester had started once again. Fred and I weren't left off the hook for our 'personal displays of affection', or P.D.A. as everyone else joked. 

      McGonagall cornered us the first breakfast of the start of term with a stern and sour look on her tired face.

     "Miss Granger, Mr Weasley. May I have a word?" Fred smirked at this and gave me a small look over to which I rolled my eyes. We both separated from the group and followed her outside of the Great Hall doors so we could be in 'private'.

       McGonagall offered us both an eyebrow raised in simmering disdain, paired with a slow look over. It was obvious that she was attempting to find some way to phrase her disappointment. "Your conduct at the Yule Ball was... less than respectable, I hope you both understand this?"

       I sighed and nodded, wanting to tell her to get on with the punishment, not drag it out. Fred grinned sarcastically and threw a steady arm over my shoulder, not caring that McGonagall glared at it like it was a python from Hell. 

     "Yes, ma'am." I chewed my lip, trying to hide the smile that Fred was egging on.

She uncrossed her arms and breathed out a heavy sigh, sagging a little as she did. "I cannot say that I'm the least bit shocked that it is the two of you getting paired up." She rolled her eyes. "But I would much rather, Mr. Weasley, that you'd have chosen the more respectful and responsible Granger." She smirked a little, knowing that would never happen in a million years.

Fred gave me a side look, taking his hand off of my shoulder and resting his chin on it in a thoughtful manner. "Hmpp... You know what Professor? That may be a better idea..." He slowly backed towards the Great Hall Doors and pointed over his shoulder. "I'll just go kiss Hermione and everything will be great. Thanks!" He turned away, but I scoffed and smacked his retreating back with a chuckle.

       "Don't be an idiot, Fred." I rolled my eyes and McGonagall shrugged with a small smile playing on her lips. 

     It was hidden behind wry, dry humour but there was a glint of a joke in her bespectacled gaze. I could tell that she was only joking, and didn't mean any true ill-will towards Fred or myself.

   "Back to the main topic. I expect one roll of parchment on the topic of Godric Gryffindor's house motto, and how it pertains today, on my desk by next Saturday." She rattled off our punishment with the flip of her wrist, mouth tight and stern. Fred groaned, shaking his head. "And, as a reminder, Hogwarts is a place of learning. I hope you learn from this." She mentioned, turning on her heel and making for the doors.

      "...Oh I will.." I mumbled to myself, but she was too far out of earshot to even hear it. Pulling out my pocket watch, I checked the time: 7:45a. Class started at 8.

      "One bloody roll," Fred complained, walking with me back into the Great Hall, "well, that's not quite the way I'd pictured the year to start. Must admit." He shook his head and turned to me. "So, what's on your 'to-do' list today?"

       "Cedric." I winked, I'd made up my mind to get him to tell me about his night with Cho and how everything went, we had hung out a little but every time I'd forgotten to ask. "What about you?"

     "Oh, should I be jealous?" Fred smirked and pulled out a small box from his pocket. It was the gift I'd bought him for Christmas. "I was gonna give Filch a heart attack, but maybe Diggory would a good kick out of these Catastrophic Catapulting Chocolates."