Worthless - A Niam Horayne fanfic

• Dedicated to One of my best friends Georgia!!! :)

It started as what could only be described as a perfectly normal day. However, never judge a book by its cover as a perfectly normal day couldn't have been further away from the truth!

Liam woke up with a strange knot of anxiety in his stomach. Yesterday he was ignored by the one whom his heart belongs and made to feel instantly worthless. He groaned as he flung off the heavy duvet and swung his legs out of the bed. He sloppily threw on a t-shirt and a pair of deep blue jeans as he wanted to make a bit on an effort as the one whom his heart belonged would be with him as he ate his breakfast. He was determined today not to be ignored or made worthless but he knew deep down that only one person could change that, and it wasn't Liam. With a heavy heart he stood up and went to the top of the stairs, looked down, took a deep breath and started walking, his footsteps heavy and heartfelt.

As Niall sat staring at a bowl of bland cereal at the breakfast table with Harry, Louis, and Zayn sitting silently on the other side of the table, he felt almost, worthless, he knew he was in love but knew no one would ever feel the same way about him and so his heart was crushed by his own feelings. The silence was finally broken by the heavy, thuds of footsteps on the stairs. Niall looked up from his bowl with watery eyes and a lump in his throat. He knew who it was without even seeing his face, he would know those footsteps anywhere.

Liam took a deep breath and entered the room with a false smile that would have been spotted from a mile away, but still that was all he could manage. Niall saw him enter the room and took an audible gulp to swallow the lump in his throat, he closed his eyes to stop the tears from falling and breathed heavily.

" Hi guys" Liam said in a fake happy voice. He said guys but directed the welcome directly to Niall, still holding on to a last thread of hope that there was something there.

Liam's voice rattled in Niall's head, seeming to mock him because he knew that his worthless feelings would never be returned by such a guy as Liam. Niall wanted to shout his hello, he wanted to jump up and throw his arms around Liam and tell him how he really felt but he knew the rejection would hurt him more than he was already. He took a deep breath and swallowed the walnut sized lump nestled in his throat and replied in a monochrome tone "hmmmm". He stared down at his food in the bowl. The cereal was now soggy and engulfed in milk which was very unappetising. Niall pushed his bowl away, he felt sick with fear and didn't know how he would react If he stayed around Liam for much longer. He stood up on shaky legs but tried to stay standing.

"I'm not hungry. I'm going upstairs" he said, still with next to no feeling on his voice. And without waiting for a response from anyone he walked upstairs in the most unemotional way. He slammed his door shut as soon as he entered the room and pushed the bolt across. His hands were shaking and his legs were weak. Suddenly they gave in and he sunk to the floor, his back resting against the cold, hard door. Then came the tears, they tumbled down his cheeks. He felt like his whole body was being racked with the pure effort it took to pull the tears out, and once he stared he couldn't stop. He sat and wept, feeling worthless as he always did nowadays.

Liam hadn't moved since Niall left the table, leaving his bowl of mush untouched. Suddenly Liam realised he needed to leave for a while, get away, just to think things through, he couldn't go through much more of this.

"I'm going for a walk" he said uselessly, still staring ahead and before anyone could object to such a plan, he grabbed his coat from the stand and left, slamming the door shut behind him. The three boys left at the table just stared at each other. It was as If a hurricane had just swept through and no one knew quite what to do.

"Well..." Said Harry with a frown plastered across his face. Out of the three remaining boys, Zayn was the only one who new anything, in fact, he knew everything! Both Liam and Niall confided in Zayn and he knew how they both felt towards each other and it annoyed him to see them both so torn apart just because neither had the courage to tell each other how they really felt.