Suspicious Glances

Naruto's P.O.V.

"COWABUNGA!
Art of the shadow doppelgänger!!" I cheered as I leapt into the river in my trunks.

"Please refrain from your cheesy exclamations, Naruto, I'm afraid they give me a headache," came the stoic, serene voice of Aki-chan, who leant precariously against a tree.

Even after we spent several days recovering, he was still having trouble restoring his energy, therefore he found it difficult to move.

We had barely made it a kilometre from our last position due to Aki-chan needing to be carried.

I splashed into the water, thrashing and yelling to scare the ignorant fish below into surfacing.

Sasuke skilfully threw four kunai, stabbing each fish with precision accuracy.

I glared as I gasped and spluttered for air, soaked to the bone.

Sasuke put his hand on his hip,
"Go under and flail around again!! Four fish won't last us long. I want to preserve some for later.
Let's do it four more times.
C'mon, stupid."

"I don't see you getting your precious little paws wet, " Aki-chan grumbled,
"So don't order him around, Baka~"

"I apologise," Sasuke said sarcastically,
"I would help, honestly, but it seems I'm too fatigued from carrying a certain someone all the way here...~"

Aki grumbled and cussed under his breath at Sasuke, who merely smirked smugly.

Soon we were all gathered around the fire, waiting patiently for the fish to cook.

Aki-chan had his arms folded and his chin resting on his chest, his eyes closed in a peaceful slumber.

"The second exam started four days ago... Right?" Said Sasuke into the calm silence.

"Yeah," muttered Sakura.

"And it began around 2:30 pm... So it will all be over in less than 26 hours," he continued.

"A lot of teams must have finished by now.
Which means..." Sakura stated, trailing off.

I wasn't really listening, drooling at the fish,
"🎶Oh! Hungry, I'm hungry! Hurry up and be ready to get in my tummy! 🎶" I sang.

Suddenly, Aki-chan sat bolt upright, awaking abruptly from his cat nap.

Everyone flinched and gasped as he spun his head round to me quickly, rising to his feet.

"Stand," he barked.

I did as I was told with a nervous sweat and expression on my face.

"Arms up!"

I complied, shivering and confused and still in my trunks.

He then drew his hand back, his fingertips starting to glow in a white light.
"shīruburēku," he whispered.

Without warning, he jabbed me in the gut, causing me to double over in pain.