- Prologue -

//

an, 5/3/18

this is a story that i started writing almost 2 years ago, and i'd like to believe my writing abilities have improved since then. it has since been discontinued. 

//

~Feathers and Friends~

Phil was ten when it happened. When he met the boy for the first time.

His mom always told him not to run off, especially while walking in the woods. The forest was a dangerous place.

Phil was determined to follow his mothers instructions. They walked along the trail, hands interlaced.

If Phil haven't seen the deer, he never would've gotten lost. But he did.

It was standing about thirty feet to the right of the trail. Phil hesitated only a second before slipping from his mothers grasp, and tearing after it.

He never wanted to get lost. He was sure he knew his way back. But he also had to see the deer up close, and it had run away.

Phil wandered deeper and deeper into the dense trees, hoping to see something that resembled a trail. But the further he went, the more disoriented he became.

After nearly ten minutes of wandering, Phil sat down on the forest floor. He fought to hold back the soft tears budding, but it was too late.

Phil pulled his knees up to his chest, and sobbed quietly into his hands.

"Are you okay?" someone asked quietly from behind him.

Phil spun around immediately, hoping that his mom had found him. No such luck.

The stranger was a little boy, around the same age as himself, no older than eleven, but considerably taller. He had soft brown eyes and brown hair. But that wasn't the strange part about him.

He had wings. Large, tawny brown wings that were folded gently at his sides.

"Are you okay?" the boy repeated slightly louder, taking a step towards him.

"A-Are those w-wings?" Phil stammered, his brain not wanting to accept what his eyes were clearly seeing.

"So you can see them too?" the boy inquired disbelievingly, grinning widely. He took a step towards Phil.

Phil took a step backwards, examining the boy top to bottom. He started to shake a little. He was afraid.

"W-What are y-you?" Phil questioned suspiciously.

"I'm a boy. Like you," the stranger offered, sharing a smile with Phil. "Well I'm not quite like you. Technically I'm an avian-human."

Phil considered this explanation for a moment. He was afraid. But the boy's eyes were so honest. He didn't want to be afraid.

"Can I touch your wings?" Phil requested nervously.

"Yeah!" the stranger exclaimed enthusiastically, giving his wings a little flap for good measure. No one had ever seen his wings before and not been afraid or ran away. The boy with black hair was different.