Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A few minutes before the bell rang to end English, Mr. Garner told us we could start packing up. "I hope all of you are ready to hand in your stories tomorrow," he said.

Isadora and I looked at each other with wide eyes before looking back at the teacher. Isadora raised her hand and Mr. Garner called on her. "Uh....Since when was it due tomorrow?" she asked.

"Since I gave you the project," Mr. Garner said.

Shit.

We didn't even start writing it. We only had part of it planned.

"Any day the class could get an extension?" Isadora asked.

Collin snorted. "You two probably would have been prepared if Dax wasn't always on his phone."

"Collin, stop bringing that up," Mr. Garner said. "And to answer your question Isadora, no, the class is not getting an extension. You guys have to learn how to complete things on time, because it real life, you won't always get an extension."

"Yeah, but this is English class," Isadora pointed out. "And the reality is that sometimes, we are permitted extensions."

"Sometimes," Mr. Garner pointed out. "Not this time."

"Please?" Isadora asked.

"Isadora, the answer is no," he said. "You had plenty of time to get the project done with two people. That's why I assigned it in pairs, because it's easier to complete." Obviously not if we weren't even close to being finished and it was due tomorrow. "Get as much done as you can and hand it in tomorrow."

Isadora sighed as the bell rang for lunch. So much for us getting a good grade on the project....

I stood up from my desk and threw my bag over my shoulder, waiting for Isadora to finish packing up. Ever since Seb, Artemis, and Ty graduated, I ate lunch alone, usually in the library, but for the past couple days I had been eating with Isadora. She was new to the school after all and we got along.

While we walked to the cafeteria, she sighed again. "We're going to fail the project," she said.

"Not really," I said. "We still have today."

Isadora raised her eyebrow. "You mean write a short story in a day?"

I shrugged. "I'm sure there are plenty of people that has. Besides, we have some of it planned. We can do it."

"Yeah, you're right," she said. "Where should we meet up after school?"

I released a breath, thinking about the choices. If it was going to take a while, which it would knowing us, then it would be best to meet at one of our houses. And I would honestly rather it be at my house considering Isadora's dad was the English teacher.

"My house?" I asked.

Isadora nodded. "That would probably be best. It will probably be awkward for you to be in the same house as our English teacher, like how I find it awkward to be in his class."

We sat down at our normal table; a small one near the exit of the cafeteria. Rarely anybody sat there, which was good because I hated everyone. No reason why. I just did.

I pulled the paper bag in my backpack that had my lunch in it. As I began taking out the contents, I came up with a note to self: Never let Seb make my lunch again. Don't get me wrong, I loved what he brought me, but I also think this much sugar shouldn't be for lunch.