The Satyr's Dream

Wurembla had only made the appointment because he had to---he hated dragons.

He ambled along the path, past the hillock with the twisted tree, and stopped at the large, flat rock next to the stagnant pond.

He waited...

The sun was near the horizon when the animal appeared, high in the sky and swooping in long arcs, ever-lower.

It landed lightly on the rock, raising a cloud of dust, and hissed out, "Satyr of legend, I am Vexus, your servant."

Wurembla looked the beast over from snout to tail and replied, "Yes, my venerable dragon, you have an ability that can be of great service to us both."

"I am not a dragon. That could well be taken as an insult, Sir. I am a drake."

"Drake or dragon, my friend, you have what I lack and I offer what you could never attain unaided..."

"The message said you wish an Appeal written in the language of the humans, since you lack the art of composition..."

"No mere appeal, damn drake, a Summons!"

"My hairy associate, you may summon all you like but, without the proper mode of appeal, your desire can never be fulfilled..."

"Oh, most shady wordsmith, I don't give a spurt what it's called. There is a particular human female I must possess and it is rumored you can write a sorcery that will bind her to me---can you?

"I can."

"She has the treasure you seek and you shall have it as soon as I have her..."

~~~

The satyr and the drake consulted. The satyr speaking his wishes, the drake instructing him in the proper strokes to be applied to the parchment.

~~~

Many miles away, the beauteous princess was kneeling at the seashore in deep conversation with one of the merfolk:

"Yes... My father's magician has determined the plot---my capture by Wurembla..."

"Why would you let him capture you?"

"The magician foresees the satyr petitioning my father for an audience with me... He can not refuse to offer it---the satyrs threaten attack on our villagers... I must see Wurembla and the magician says he will have an Appeal to entrance me..."

"And, my dear, you want me to do...?

"Steal the Appeal."

"Just like that..."

"I shall admit Wurembla to my chambers. You shall be in my bath---"

"Wait. Your bath!?"

"This is not good?"

"I need the beast on the shore---I must have room to leap and grab, my dear."

"On the shore..."

~~~

Word had been received from the princess. She would meet the satyr.

Vexus took up his position on the mountainside, waiting for Wurembla to gain control of the woman and, hence, her fortune---all the jewels going to the drake...

Wurembla stood on the shore of the sea, leering as the princess approached---his loins growing warm---his thoughts swirling in a dream-world...

The princess reached the satyr and asked, with a quaver:

"What do wish to say to me, Wurembla?"

"Me? Say? Nothing, dear wench, read!"

He thrust the scroll at her.

She stood frozen.

The merman leapt.

The boy lurched back to consciousness, joystick in hand, and said:

"Damn! Almost had her..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you liked this story, please consider giving it a vote...

If you can't wait for me to put all 31 stories here (one per week), head over to nfaa.wordpress.com and look in the left side-bar to find all the stories---that side-bar also has a free book of poetry, a free novel, and a free fable :-) {NOTE: if you're on your phone, you'll have to use your general "Menu" button and find something like "Request Desktop Site" to see the left side-bar :-)

Next story on Tuesday (USA-time), April 26th :-)