23) 38 Weeks Pregnant, Fun and Games

Lynda sat on my sofa as she explained things to me. ‘Coley could be born anytime from now onwards,’ Lynda told me. The nerves suddenly began to build inside me. Even though Coley is only a few weeks away I still can’t imagine being a mum.

‘So I could just be getting on with normal daily things and then I could suddenly go into labour?’ I asked Lynda as I held my hands over my bump before rubbing soothing circles over it.

‘Well I’m sure you’ll have a few signs if you’re going to go into labour like your waters could break, you won’t actually just go into labour and give birth to Coley on a floor of some random place in most situations,’ Lynda told me, “in most situations”? What the hell is that supposed to me? That’s like saying, you shouldn’t give birth to your baby in the middle of a shopping centre but anything is possible.

‘That totally helped,’ I mumbled sarcastically. Lynda let out a small laugh as she looked up to me.

‘Trust me, Isabella. Everything should go smoothly, no matter where Coley is born he’ll be perfect at the end of it all,’ Lynda told me, I nodded with a smile; that is true.

            Lynda and I had been speaking for another hour. We’d discussed that when I go back to school Coley will be going to a nursery in my school which is used for teacher’s children. ‘So over the next week or two you need to try and keep yourself active but you can’t do exercises that involves too much movement or things that could put harm to you or your baby,’ Lynda explained to me, she rested her hands on her lap.

‘I suppose I could go swimming with Louisa once she’s finished school,’ I decided.

Lynda nodded, ‘that would be good.’ After Lynda spoke she then stood up. ‘Anyway I think that’s all we really need to discuss. I’ll come over again next week so we can go through a few more things to do with labour,’ Lynda explained to me.

‘Okay, thank you,’ I smiled as I stood up also.

‘Just make sure you have everything sorted out for when he arrives and make sure your hospital bag is ready so you won’t be rushed closer to the day,’ Lynda continued to tell me, I nodded; she’d already told me this previously today. ‘See you soon, take care,’ Lynda finished as she walked away from the house.

‘Bye,’ I smiled as I waved to her before closing the door. What to do now?

Four hours later, Louisa, Luca, Rhys and I were all in the swimming pool in the local leisure centre. To be honest I wasn’t doing too much swimming. Louisa and Rhys were having holding breathe contest whilst Luca tried to repeatedly do handstands in under the water. Occasionally I would swim maybe a lap of the pool before I got bored and got back to watching what everyone else was doing. ‘I totally won that time!’ Louisa shouted as she jumped from the water.

‘No you didn’t,’ Rhys responded. ‘Luca,’ Rhys called as Louisa called my name at the same time.

‘Who won?’ Louisa and Rhys asked in sync. I shrugged my shoulders, I honestly didn’t know, I was too busy staring at the water flowing; I daydream, get over it. ‘You’re a crap referee Isabella,’ Louisa complained as she hugged her arms over her waist.

‘I hate to break it to you babe, but I think Lou won that time,’ Luca told Rhys, Rhys groaned before copying Louisa earlier movement and wrapped his own arms around his waist. Luca looked at Rhys with cute eyes, ‘I’m sorry babe...’ Luca started, ‘...that you’re a sore loser!’ With that Luca dived under the water and swam away from us so we could no longer see him. I saw the shock on Rhys’ face as he waded through the water looking for his boyfriend.