19) 32 Weeks Pregnant, Growing Up

‘On Saturday he ate through one piece of chocolate cake, on ice-cream cone, one pickle, on slice of Swiss cheese, one slice of salami,’ I read the story “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” to Bean as I sat on the edge of my bed. I’d been told at one of my pregnancy classes that babies like to hear the sound of the parent’s voice whilst still in the womb. My mother’s dropping me off at school today; she has a day off work.

‘Hi babe,’ my mother smiled as she came into my room with a plate, two slices of toast sat on the plate. She handed it to me, a friendly smile as she sat on my bed beside me. I shut the book I was reading, taking in the picture of the large caterpillar on the front of the book; this will be my life.

‘I’m guessing you want to talk about something?’ I asked as I placed the book on the bed before crossing my legs and resting the plate in the centre of my lap.

‘I never thought I’d see you reading a children’s book again, especially not this soon,’ my mum laughed as she eyed the book which was beside me.

‘Well I’ve decided I need to mature,’ I admitted as I took a bite of one slice of toast which was smothered in jam. ‘I can’t act the part of a little kid anymore, I’m going to have my own little kid so how can I act the same as him?’ I began to nag.

‘I’m glad you’re growing up, Belle. Just don’t throw every part of your youth away, you’re only young yourself,’ my mum smiled as she placed her hands on her legs. I nodded.

‘Anyway, I need to finish getting ready for school. I’ll see you downstairs,’ I finished as I ate another slice of toast before standing up from my bed.

I stood alone at the gates of school waiting for Louisa, Luca and Rhys. Some loud nagging was coming from behind me and I couldn’t help but to listen. ‘Do you think Jackson will like this?’ Brianna questioned loud enough for people to hear from about ten metres away. I shrugged it off, no more arguments Bella. ‘We had a proper good time last night; I know Jackson will ask me out again soon,’ Brianna giggled; I knew she aimed what she had said at me. I could feel her eyes staring into my head.

‘You’d be so much better with Jackson, plus you and Jackson look like a cuter couple,’ I heard Janet admit to Brianna, she is such a sheep, always following whoever wants to lead.

‘To be honest, anyone would make a better couple with Jackson than Isabella,’ Brianna cackled, her voice stung like nettles. I turned around on my heels smoothly, facing the dreaded face of Brianna. ‘Oh sorry, didn’t see you stood there,’ Brianna lied as she laughed again.

‘Didn’t think you did,’ I said with a firm smile.

‘Its fine, all of what I said was true though; right?’ Brianna asked me whilst placing a hand to her chest.

To be honest, I don’t think all of what you said was true. I doubt any of what you said was true; I’ll tell you something that is true though, something from my point of view,’ I began as I crossed my arms, leaning back on my leg calmly. ‘Since I became pregnant, all you’ve done it try to cause arguments with me. Usually I’d argue back just as harshly but now I’ve thought about it, I need to stop,’ I continued. Brianna let out a false yawn.

‘Is the boring speech over yet?’ Brianna questioned tapping her hand over her mouth.

‘No Brianna, no it is not over!’ I yelled gaining a few looks from passing groups of school children. ‘I don’t know what I ever did to you, I didn’t force Jackson to come to me, he made that decision by himself like he will make every other decision.’