1/ A NEW FACE

6:53 am Clarke

I woke up, put on my glasses, and made my way downstairs. Mom was just siting in front of her computer and drinking her coffee. I could see the stains of lipstick she kept leaving on her mug.

She looked up and saw that I was about to enter the kitchen so she greeted me "Oh hey honey, good morning."

"Morning mom."

She stood up, kissed me on the cheek, and made her way out the front door. It was 7:00, on the dot, which was when she always left for work. 

There was a glass of orange juice on the counter waiting for me so I picked it up and took a sip. I sat down on one of our dining chairs in my pajama shorts and top. My hair still in a braid from the night before. But not a need to worry, since my class didn't start until 10 pm. I have to admit, taking a course in art hasn't been the easiest thing. With my mom not being so accepting of it; she thinks I'm capable of "more". I love it though, so sacrificing hours from some days will be worth it. I hope. At least studying at a University isn't as bad as high school was. God, I hated high school. It was definitely the most stressful time for me. I'm just glad it's over.

I went upstairs to get ready. I'm always late so it's a good idea to shower early. After showering, I usually head to my closet. I didn't know what to wear but I never do so I just put on a pair of jeans I wear all the time and a random blue blouse. As well as a pair of my favorite converse, of course. I put on chapstick, re-braid my hair, then I'm ready to go.

9:40 am

The sound of my car alarm goes off reminding me to put my seatbelt on. I realize I have so much stuff. My pencils are scattered around the front seat, my notebook on the ground and some loose papers in my art folder are seeping out.

9:58 am

I finally make it to the University and sigh as I see an empty parking space. I grab my stuff and sling my art bag across my shoulder.

"Hey Clarke!" my friend Octavia yells out from the grass area.

I wave and walk to her, trying to get a good hold on all my stuff.

"Hey Octavia," I say in a flustered tone.

She laughs and offers, "Haha need some help with that?"

"Yes please." I sigh in relief.

Once I got myself positioned, we began to walk to class. Well, Octavia had Media and Networking at this time, and our classes were next to each other. She probably wasn't planning on going today though. Why? Because she almost never does. She just rather not but I don't judge her for it.

Octavia was walking around backwards jumping onto ledges and things like that. As always. After all, she was the adventurous type.

"Sooo how was your spring break?" She asks.

"Oh you know..," it was extremely boring actually, "same old same old."

"Well I had the BEST time."

I laugh. "Oh yeah why's that? You visit that one guy..what's his name..Lincoln something?"

Her eyes seem to brighten up. "AH YES.. Lincoln." She twirls around making me laugh.

"Clarke we just had the most amazing time.."

I had to interrupt her.

"Spare me the details..Octavia."

"Yeah yeah. He is so great. We went to this place just up on North drive on Sunday and we also went to this movie theatre.. you know the one," I nod. "Ugh it was just SO great, haha"

10:08 am

At this point in her story we were in front of my classroom door.

"and it was so funny because when we were at--"

Suddenly the door opens and my professor peeks his head out.

"Ms. Griffin, planning on joining us?"

I answer back as Octavia hands me my sketchbook and some pencils. "Yes Mr. Wallace."

Octavia laughs.

"Bye Mr. Wallace," she waves. "text me later Clarke."

I walk into the room and see a far seat on the left that I could take. Everyone's eyes were of course on me because professor Wallace just had to point me out. He then continues on his lecture. It was interesting but the way he moves so slowly and enunciates his words always lulls me to sleep.

I yawn trying my best not to fall asleep. But nevertheless, professor Wallace continued to speak.

"So as you would create a triangular shape for the face here--"

I yawn again and shake my head so I could put pencil onto sketchbook.

Just as I begin to draw I hear the entrance door slowly open. Out of it comes a brown haired, thin girl. She immediately catches my attention. I observe as her eyes scan the room and she has a realization.

She was wearing a pink loose top, I could also see a fancy laced white shirt seeping from underneath. Her hair, in a bun. But not those messy types, like those very formal kinds. She's also got a brown purse hanging on one arm and book in her hand.

I try to read the details of her facial features but am too far away to see. As I realize I can't make out the color of her eyes, she opens her mouth.

"Hm.. Hi professor, this must be the wrong class.. I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

She spoke very professionally.

She begins to walk back to the door and that's when Mr. Wallace begins to speak.

"Hi miss. What is your name?"

"Lexa." She responds.

That's a pretty name.

"Okay Lexa, are you new here by any chance?"

"Yes, by chance I am." I kind of snicker because of the way she played with his words.

"Alright, well you be on your way ma'am."

"Thank you professor."

And with that she slowly closed the door and the sun from outside disappeared.

--
I'm going to take this story slowly but stick around if you want to read more.