Chapter Four

Chapter Four 

As soon as he saw Inspector Martin behind Harper, Philips knew he was in for trouble. Martin looked exactly like a policeman ought to: solid, dependable, persistent - all of which in fact he was. Philips searched his memory for what else he knew about him, but all he could come up with was that he liked a game of golf, hardly helpful in the circumstances. He was in his mid forties and had pale blue eyes which at the moment were directed at Phillips with an unpleasantly curious gleam. 

"Come in gentlemen." Philips held the door open and gestured with his hand. "What brings you here? It doesn't look like a social call." 

"Just a few routine inquiries, sir," said Martin easily. 

Philips raised his eyebrows and glanced at Harper, who stared solidly back, his left fist clenched by his side. That showed Harper was worried, he thought, as well he might be. He wondered briefly on whose behalf. He wondered why he had come with Martin. Was he trying to help him or trap him? In either case, he wished he hadn't come; Harper knew him too well. He invited them to be seated and followed suit. 

"Now sir," began Martin, "how long have you known Toni Gordon?" 

Philips' face looked merely thoughtful, while inside his mind raced. Why were they talking to him about this? What had they found out? "It must be about a year now I think. Last September. Since she started working in the shop at any rate." 

"And when was the last time you saw her?" 

Philips had expected that question but it still made his pulses leap. Should he tell them the truth or deny everything? The sudden tension in the room was almost tangible, and he made the wrong choice. 

"Tuesday morning. I went down for some milk." Philips crossed his legs and looked perfectly at ease in his grey trousers and cream cable knit jumper. The detectives exchanged looks. The tension reduced a level but Philips felt no relief. 

"I mean after that, on Saturday," pressed Martin. 

"You must be mistaken Inspector, I didn't see her after Tuesday." He paused, "Look here, wouldn't the neighbours be more helpful than me in telling you about her movements?" 

"We're talking to them to sir; don't worry about that. Now you've been in the shop I take it?" 

"Yes, of course." 

"Have you been out the back or upstairs at any time?" 

Philips tried to remember if he had touched anything. "No, only in the shop." 

"You're sure about that? Nowhere else, just the shop?" 

"Of course I'm sure." 

Martin smiled placatingly, "What, as a matter of interest, were you doing yourself last night?" 

Philips had prepared an answer to that, and let them disprove it if they could. It wasn't up to him to prove his whereabouts. 

"I was here, Inspector, working on my book. Surely you don't think I had anything to do with the murder do you?" 

"Alone?" Martin persisted. 

"Yes of course, I can't concentrate if other people are around." 

"What was your relationship with Toni Gordon?" Martin enquired. Philips stared at him in genuine surprise. "I didn't have a relationship with her. I only knew her casually, from the shop." 

"Did you ever date her?" 

"No!" 

"She wasn't your girlfriend?"