4 ~ Intoxicating

"Cheersss!" A crowd of people of cheered, raising their glasses and clinking them. I stood awkwardly to the side and raised my glass in unison with the crowd and took a sip of the white wine. It was bitter on my tongue and an unpleasant shiver went down my spine. I never liked wine, it was bitter and fermented. What people found so enticing about the dink I'll never know.

I looked over my shoulder at Haden. He sat at the other side of the hall, at a table with several beautifully dressed women and very proper looking men. The entire party was 'proper looking', almost as if it was straight out from a movie. I caught his gaze slipping over to me. His eyes wondered from my feet to the glass in my hand. It all had been so quick that I wondered whether he truly looked this way or I had wanted him to. Then, as I watched him converse with those beautiful people I couldn't help but feel jealousy curl deep in my stomach. Life is sometimes so unfair. Sometimes, the nice are poor, and rude are rich.

Haden curled his arm around the waist of a young blond girl that stood next to him and whispered something into her ear. She tossed her head back and laughed. The tabloids had been right. He was a flirt.

F*ck...Stop thinking about him.

I hate men like him.

I looked away, excused myself from the mind numbingly boring crowd and went over to my designated table. Taking a seat to rest my feet, I couldn't stop my mind from wondering over to him. He had taken over my mind. The feeling of his touch, the hotness of his breath and the sound of his voice...they all seemed to taunt me.

I unwillingly replayed last night's events in my mind over and over again.

Why? I didn't know.

I had been so deep in thought that I didn't hear the chair move next to me. "Hey, are you ok?" someone asked, coming into my line of sight. I internally shook my head in an attempt to rid him from my mind and looked at the person in front of me.

Ash.

"Yeah, I'm good," I said, looking away from him; my eyes slowly shifted to where Haden now stood. He was surrounded by a group of women this time. Women seemed to follow him everywhere.

He seemed to be entertaining himself.

"Oh, that!" Ash said. Presumably noticing where I was looking. Or better yet, whom I was looking at.

"Huh?" I looked back at Ash.

"Yeah! He's a reaaaal ladies' man," he said, looking at Haden and rolling his eyes.

"Well, whatever," I said, "it's not like I care." I abruptly stood up. I didn't want to have this conversation, not now, not with him. So, without another word I walked out of the hall and into the balcony. In all honesty, I didn't want to look at him anymore. It hurt to look at him. I didn't even want to be the same room as him.

The air was cold, refreshing, and peaceful. I closed my eyes and breathed it in. I felt a smile stretch across my face. I raised my glass to my lips and sipped the last of the white wine.

I hadn't felt peace like this in a while.

"What are you doing out here?" Someone asked from behind me. I spoke too soon.

My blood went cold and paused for a second when I heard his deep voice. I reluctantly turned around to face him. But in the darkness I could only see the outline of his body.

"What's it to you?" I asked, ignoring the annoyingly loud beating of my heart. I think it was fear. I was fearful of him... it couldn't be anything else.

"Hmm...true, forget it then," Haden said. I could hear the noise of his footsteps as he walked towards me. My body went ridged; wasn't he going to go back inside.