Home

Taylor's POV

Another Christmas day
Will come and go away

I was sitting beside his sleeping body. For some reason, I had a gut feeling that wasn't very positive. The doctor had announced to everyone that he was stable, doing good, and slowly but surely getting better. But I've had enough experience in my life to know those words had no meaning.

But I got so far to go

It always happened during that time. It always happened when they were doing so good. Then bam. All of a sudden they're gone. Nothing left but a broken body, and the broken hearts of loved ones. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like if Josh wasn't able to make it. I just couldn't think about that. He stirred in the bed.

"Good morning," I said.

"Mmmmmgrfumblewah," he groaned. I smiled.

"Have a nice sleep?"

"It was ok I guess," he huffed.

But I wanna go home

He had been like that for a while now. He always sounded so monotone, and he was always sighing. He wasn't his usual self. Though I figured if I was in his predicament I wouldn't be happy either. I reached over and clasped his pale hand in mine.

"What's going on in your head?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"You haven't been very upbeat lately. This weighing down on you?"

"Well," he sighed.

"It's ok. It would be hard to be very upbeat in your predicament. But, you are so strong."

"I don't feel very strong. Every morning it's the exact same thing. I wake up and laze around on my bed untill I fall back asleep again. I need, something. Something to crack this numb bubble I'm stuck in."

I need to go home

"I know," I said quietly.

"I mean, don't get me wrong, I would've committed suicide by now if it wasn't for all the visits from my family and friends and you. But, I'm sorry, but it's just I don't know. It's just not enough. People can only do so much."

"I get it," I replied and instantly knew exactly how to make him feel better. "Well, I've been here a while now, I better go home and feed the pets and stuff."

He sighed. I leaned in and kissed him.

"I'll be right back," I said.

I was just about to leave the house and go back to the hospital, when I remembered what I was going to bring Josh-animals. It would be a great surprise. They could just look at you and you'd instantly feel better. I didn't know if it was their silence, or what. Animals could fix almost anything.

I pondered about bringing Bennie, but figured I'd leave that big thing for another day. Bennie could sometimes be a bit of a hassle, and I felt that it would be too much for Josh right now. I walked into our bedroom and found Anemone. Who knew where the other cats were, but for right now I had her.

"Hi baby. You wanna see Josh? Huh?" I said to her.

She meowed.

"Aww, come on. Lets go see him."

Maybe surrounded by

Strangers and Christmas lights

I scooped her up, and drove back to the hospital. I was pretty sure they allowed pets. I had seen a couple of dogs in here before. I walked down the hallway and peeked into his room. He was alone, and asleep. The pain killers were really making him drowsy, and he really didn't have anything better to do. I walked in and sat down on my usual perch. I hid the cat underneath my jacket. I brushed the hair out of Josh's face.