2: In a Split Second

{A/N You guys are so amazing! Thank you so much for everything!! So...early update! Here! :)

Here is chapitre deux! Xx ~Pickles}

I got to know Nathan as we proceeded through our classes. He was amazing. A lot of our interests were very similar. He also had this kind of dry humour that made me laugh every time.

At the end of the day, I met him outside of the school. He already had several girls flocking around him. A slight pang of jealousy sparked in my chest. Why?

He looked up at me and smiled, get my making his way through the people towards me.

"Thanks for helping me out today," Nathan said as we walked towards the parking lot.

"No problem, Nath," I replied, beaming.

"We should hang out this weekend."

"We totally should! I can show you around town too. Go to some of my favourite places."

Nathan smiled brightly, his beautiful eyes lighting up. "I'd like that. I'd like that very much."

Suddenly, in a split second, I saw something. Something in his eyes. It was almost like...wistfulness, sadness. As soon as I saw it it was gone.

In a split second.

"What?" he asked.

I blinked. "Huh?"

"You were staring at me."

I gazed suspiciously at him, but there was nothing different. He was happy, bubbly, smiling. No trace of the look I saw before.

"Oh, nothing," I dismissed. But I couldn't dismiss it from my mind.

We came to my car. I reached for the handle but Nathan grabbed my wrist. Gentle yet strong.

"We should exchange numbers so we can text," he suggested.

He was giving me his number? Oh right, as friends, of course. "Um, yeah," I agreed. I pulled out my phone.

When we were finished I climbed into my car. I gave him a little wave as I drove off.

Once I got home I immediately called my best friend: Kelsey.

Kelsey was my friend since primary school. I knew I could talk to her about anything. She would love to hear about Nathan.

"Jaybird!" she said excitedly on the phone.

I laughed. "Hey Kels, what's up?"

"I saw the hot guy at school. The one you were hanging around with. Are you guys friends?"

"Yeah we are."

"Do you think you could introduce us?"

I laughed again, but felt a little jealous and protective. Why did I feel that way? "No."

"Why not?!" she whined. "I'll love you forever."

"You already love me forever," I pointed out.

"True. Anyway, what's he like? Is he as sexy as I imagine him to be?"

I sighed and laid back on the couch. "Yes. Sexier, even. I'm not gay, but look at the guy. I would definitely hit that."

Kelsey giggled. "Everyone's talking about him."

"I can see why. He's really cool. On topic, we're hanging out this weekend."

She made some whining noises. "Let me come with! Pleeeease!"

"Maybe we'll swing by and pick up you and Nareesha at some point."

I faintly heard her screaming in the background. "Yes!" Kelsey exclaimed.

Something was still upsetting me. "Hey Kels?" I asked hesitantly, quietly, unsure.

"Why so serious, Bird? What's the matter?"

"Have you ever...have you ever looked at someone and for just the slightest bit of time you saw through them? You saw something else, a different side to them?"

"Yes, I have in fact. It usually means they're troubled on the inside and are hiding something."

I bit my lip. This Nathan fellow was an enigma.

He looked fine on the outside. Happy, bright, social. What if on the inside, he wasn't fine? What if it was all an act? What if he went through bad things before moving here, bad things that still haunted him?

"Jay! You there?"

I snapped out of my thoughts. "Yeah. I've got to go. Talk to you tomorrow Kels." I ended the call and stared up at the ceiling.

I was going to figure Nathan out. It might be a difficult chase.

But it was definitely worth the prize.