Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

II. One Everardly Afternoon

Our story would start in one of the most affluent towns in The Town: Wickhurst.

Located in the south, Wickhurst was a town that prided itself on its woods which were rare to find anywhere in The Town. There were very few wooden areas that allowed entrance to the public, but Wickhurst's was the safest and liveliest of all. The others were simply too dangerous if not privately owned.

But apart from its brighter lights, grander holes, parks, and mining sites, Wickhurst was known for the same things as other equally successful towns such as Willowfair in the west. Social etiquette was still given highest import and social standing a paramount thing.

The people were generally content, but like all the other towns around Town, Wickhurst had its own share of scandals and interesting stories to tell. Yes, the people were graceful and kind, but only a few could be as wicked as the Everards.

One could say that to be employed by one of the richest families in Wickhurst would be an honor, most exceedingly so if the said family were the Everards.

Now, the Everards hailed not a history of rags-to-riches. They were born to it, or rather, came down with it. Their family was among the first who came with the Founders belowground centuries ago. So you see, they came down with their wealth and have thus far maintained their status in The Town.

They were the first of only a few families who discovered the mining sites around The Town. Growing their wealth with precious jewels, the Everards were the best in producing exquisite and elegant pieces of jewelry worn by many all over and no one had dared question their wealth. Everyone wanted to be friends with them and everyone wanted to sire their heirs.

But it seemed that the present Everard line was on the brink of slow death for the eight children seemed to not be in a hurry to bear their living mother, Lady Alice Everard, a grandchild. And to make matters worse, the children believed that the future of the governess was far more of import than finding a husband or a wife of their own.

"You are both coming out this season, dears, you will no longer need Agatha."

The two youngest Everard children, Emma and Ysabella, snapped their heads at their mother, eyes wide with horror. "But, mother!" they both chorused, aghast. "Agatha has merely been with us for over a year!" cried Emma.

Ysabella followed with, "She barely taught us anything thus far!"

"You've learned enough for the many years and the many governesses that came and went. You can both do well if you do not go running around like children," their mother said with ease and calmness as though her two daughters' latest mischief did not cost her a carriage, its wheel and one missing horse.

Agatha simply remained silent in one corner, her lips lifting into a hidden smile. She would not have wanted to be called a governess for she was but a mere servant before her former mistress, Mary Haverston from Willowfair, who provided her with tutors for a higher education.

Governesses were ladies born into a life of gentry, ladies who found a need to earn money for some reason. She, on the other hand, was a servant who found a great need for money. She would have loved to be called a tutor, not a governess. And she knew the twins were very much aware of that as well. She had not given them a ton of lessons on proper manners or decorum. She never scolded them on how to use the different forks or knives on the table for she knew they were better at it than her. But she was very knowledgeable of many other things such as arithmetic and science, but unfortunately, the twins had no interest in them although they had great potential.

Emma and Ysabella Everard were not really twins. They were born merely nine months apart with Emma as the youngest. Lady Alice had feared that the youngest of the Everard children would die when she came out two months shorter than expected. But alas, the ever adventurous, witty and loud Emma lived and started causing havoc with her older sister, Ysabella. Everyone referred to them as twins and they seemed not to mind. They did look alike save for a few distinct differences in their features. Both had black hair and emerald eyes as all Everard children, but Emma had a slimmer face while Ysabella's was a bit fuller around the edges.