32- Spare the Pain

Chapter Thirty Two:

Spare the Pain:

~Ryan~

“Ok man, I should warn you about Danielle,” I said in a low voice as to not attract the attention of those around us. Seph and I were on the bus to Danielle’s house. I had decided to bring Seph today because if I waited any longer I would chicken out.

“What is there to know?” He asked. He was actually really good about this whole thing. I had been expecting him to make more jokes and be his usual self, but he was actually serious.

“Well you know she’s been going through chemo, so she has no hair,” I said.

“I figured. I guess I can get used to that,” Seph said. “Maybe,” he added.

“And she doesn’t dance anymore. So a lot of her muscle is gone and she looks weak,” I continued. He nodded. “She has a bunch of random mood swings and most of the time I have no clue what they are about. She doesn’t have that long left so she’s been thinking about her death a lot.”

“Okay. I can understand that. Anything else?”

“Um, not that I can think of at the moment. She may not be home right when we get there because she had an appointment today. But she’s always there within a half hour.”

“And she’s fine with you just sitting around outside her house?” Seph asked in awe.

“Well I have a key,” I said with a shrug.

“That’s awesome man!” He said giving me a high five.

When we got to Danielle’s house no one was home. I told Seph that we should wait on the couch for her when the back door banged open.

“Ryan there you are!” Lilly said. There were tears running down her face, but no new ones were falling.

“What’s wrong?” I asked jumping up immediately.

“Danielle…something went wrong with the chemo today,” she rushed out. “I need to grab some stuff.” She went into to Danielle’s room and I heard drawers banging open and closed as she looked for stuff.

“Go home Seph,” I said without looking at him.

“What? Why?” he asked.

“I’m going to go to the hospital with Lilly. I need to be with her. Go home,” I repeated.

“But I want to come!”

“Just go home okay? Another time you can see her. I don’t know what happened yet and I don’t need you there to get in my way!” I said. It was a little harsh but I was freaking out. Danielle always came back from her treatments a little weaker than usual because of the beating her body takes from the chemo, but nothing bad had actually happened. Up to this point everything had been going fine.

Seph stared at me a moment longer before turning and going out the door.

“You’re going to come?” Lilly asked.

“Of course, let’s go,” I said. She nodded and we left for the hospital.

We entered the little room Danielle had been assigned. It was tiny, only big enough for the bed and a couple chairs, but it was all that was needed.

Lilly went to Danielle first and kissed her forehead. She whispered something to her than placed the bag she had brought with some of Danielle’s things on the floor next to the bed. She stepped back and sat in the chair against the wall. Giving me the chair right next to Danielle, and space to talk to her.