Ch 39: What is this, Saw?!

He stares at me. Not a scary, "I'm going to kill you" look. But one of complete bewilderment. He breaks away from me and looks at each of his guards, as if to ask if they had any clue as to what I meant. They stare stoically ahead, none of them willing to break protocol and make eye contact.

Jack finally turns to me. "A day care. You want me to help you break into a day care. The ones that house sticky, burpy children?"

"Unless you know any other kind of day care," I question.

He lets out one laugh and stares at me again. When I raise my brows, he lets out a mass flurry of laughs, placing his hands on his knees. My eyes shift from side to side, looking at his guards.

"I don't see how any of this is funny. My sister's life depends on this!" I shift, and so do the other men. Jeez I feel like I have mimicking elephants in front of me. That's to say they're big and strong like elephants and all they do is copy me.

"No, I'm sorry. I really am. This-this whole thing is just ludicrous. Insanse. Ridiculous. Impos--"

"Yes, I know what ludicrous means you dont have to tell me synonyms. What I do want is your help? And I kinda need it now. This thing is sorta time sensitive." I say impatiently.

"So, you're saying you want me, the CEO of a multi-billion illegal business, to help you bust into a daycare." He clarifies.

I nod. "That is precisely what I'm asking."

Jack stares at me, into my soul, before he breaks into a huge smile. He turns around and faces his men. "Guards," he states. "Tonight, we will take candy from babies!"

The guards yell and all March to various cabnits where they pull out a variety of bags and weapons.

I have to admit, walking out of that tent with ammunition strong enough to kill a man 800 times over, I felt pretty badass. I must've looked it too, because as I started walking towards the truck, my friend's eyes' got very, very wide. It took all my will power not to smile.

The moment was broken when Jack and his men turned a different way to go to their trucks.

"Come on, we gotta go to the nearest day care" I state, hopping in the truck.

"Um, I don't know...there's one...uh...I don't. I dont know!" Zoe exclaims.

"Zoe, you said you knew where everything was!" I say, turning around in my seat.

"Well, yeah, but not a daycare!"

"Why the fuck not? It exists the same as a grocery store or car wash!" I yell.

"Maybe because I dont have a fucking baby that needs to be dropped off at daycare! Ever thought of that? Instead of yelling at me all the damn time, stop and think!"

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Very slowly, I let it out. "Someone better tell me where the nearest day care is from my appartment or else people will start paying the price. And so will my sister." Tears sprung in my eyes and I took a shaky breath.

Then very quietly, a voice says, "there's one a few miles from here."

I open my eyes carefully. Zander sits shrunken in the corner.

"Thank you, Zander, now can you please tell me where to go?"

He nods. "Take the first left."

As Zander quietly, but loud enough for me to hear, directs my speeding car to a daycare, I gather myself. No use heading into a fight with unnecessary emotions. Screws with your focus, and that's how you lose. The trick is to fight with enough emotion to put a little more 'umph' in your punches. Enough that sometimes it helps you win.