Chapter Three

Chapter Three

My heart almost bursts through my chest, here we go again. Pushing on the sleek black doors of the biggest recording studio in town, I hold my breath and march through the entrance. I bypass the reception desk and slip into one of the smaller recording studio's on the ground level.

As I walk inside, I see Jason and another girl already mucking around with buttons on the sound board. Their laughter consumes the room which makes me feel like an awkward outsider.

Before Jason and I had unofficially started seeing each other, we'd originally met through a mutual interest of music. He'd signed me to his new imprint for Silver Bird Recordings and things just went from there. Now we're not even talking.

"Finally, you're here," he grumbles, the girl laughing.

The sound of her laughter is the same as the girl who was in the background of our previous phone call. I can't believe I was naive enough to believe I'd be able maintain a relationship with my producer and things turn out okay. I'd only been a shiny thing by his side, now just another person he's tossed aside.

"Sorry," I mumble, looking towards the ground.

"I need to hear the new work before recording starts next week. Can you play an acoustic set in the booth?"

"Sure." I nod my head.

Walking through the glass door of the booth, I take a seat on the stool and pick up the guitar already set up. I strum my fingers over the strings and lightly hum to the sound. I'd been composing my last song before I'd lost track of time. Hopefully, this will pay off.

"You claw beneath my skin, waiting to tear a piece. I shouldn't have let you in, but I loved you like nobody else," I sing. "If we hold on tight, we'll never know how this ends."

I pick up the tempo on the tune and knock against the wooden base of the guitar to create a new melody of music. Nodding my head from side to side, I sing the next part.

"I watched you fall into this little heart of mine. Piece by piece, we threw it away. Just a sound on repeat, a meaning to get lost."

The speaker above turns on and Jason's voice filters through, "Just stop, this is horrible."

"Sorry." I bite my lip. "Can I play you another song?" I look through the clear window between us to see him shake his head with disgust.

"That's all I need to hear."

"What can I change?" Jason has won a variety of awards for his music, he must know how I'm able to fix the song.

"The lack of narrative needs to be fixed. The pacing is off and you're singing out of tune, go home and work on something else," says Jason, which makes the girl next to him laugh uncontrollably.