1. lucky night

Welcome dear readers, this is the rewritten version of Attraction, vastly different from the original draft toward the end. You might want to give this novel a shot again.

Illusions. Faces hidden beneath layers of paint. Bodies shrouded by a thick mist that failed to hide their intentions. They were all actors, skilled from performing the same scene over and over as they prowled the night to find entertainment. I'd seen the play enough times to know that the guy standing in the corner, nodding his head to the music, had every intention of taking me home. It could have been glorious. Sadly for him, I already had a ride.

Colored lights flickered past his sharp features before he disappeared into the dancing crowd. He would find someone else, seeking connection for one night alone.

With one headphone pressed to my ear, I began to merge the next song into the beat and made a seamless transition. Everything to perfection. Feeling a rush of satisfaction as the heavy pulse continued, I checked the time on my phone. Nope, I was definitely not in need of a hook-up, since Chris would come down any second from the VIP area and demand that we leave. One song remained before the in-house light bulbs would blast down on the unsuspecting crowd. They lost their masks as soon as darkness fled, and if you looked close enough, you saw their wide pupils and drooping eyelids. Fabulousness is fickle and fades too fast when you're drunk.

The beat vibrated in my chest, alive and constant—a reminder that all hearts out there on the dance floor were pounding to the music. The thought made me smile. Most of them had a bed to fall into as they got home, drunk and delirious after a late night. Most of them would wake up with a headache—some might wake up with a lovely stranger in their arms.

"Joachim, when are you wrapping this up?"

I started as Chris suddenly stood beside me on the stage, close enough for me to hear him despite the music. A drop of sweat trickled down his temple. Apparently they were dancing in the VIP lounge for a change. His dark blond hair was in complete disarray, but his eyes sparkled with energy. Beneath the blue light, they almost looked like pools of molten silver captured inside a dark, circular frame.

I flashed him a wide smile and held two fingers in the air.

"Two minutes?" Chris said, half shouting into my ear.

Nodding, I made sure to pump up the volume on the speakers. The crowd deserved a crescendo before the bitter end. They responded with wild intensity, giving back whatever energy I sent their way. Swishing my hips to the beat, I chased the light across the dance floor to see if the guy had gone back to watching me.

Chris leaned into my ear again. "Tom's waiting for us." He'd mentioned Tom before, but I had never met the guy. All I knew was that he was some kind of chauffeur for Chris' boyfriend's manager. Chris lived in a strange world where people had drivers and ate at fancy restaurants all the time, but he was a cool friend.

I shrugged and waved two fingers in the air for a second time. Time didn't go faster just because the chauffeur was waiting. A soft chuckle left me at the thought. We were going home in style. It would have been a superior night to bring someone along, preferably someone in a suit. I could even pretend that I was rich. Grinning, I checked across the floor one last time. The guy from before was gone, but another piece of deliciousness had just walked through the doors.

Oh yes.

A beam of red light caught his dark skin and got swallowed by his impossibly black suit. Tall and proud with his hair cropped short, he moved with precision. I couldn't wait for him to get on the floor and show me how he captured the music with his body. A rush of anticipation tickled my skin until he leaned back against the wall and crossed his arms, resembling a security guard rather than a guest as his assessing stare swept across the room.