Twenty Six

"Out, out! Mr. Malfoy needs to rest," Madam Pomfrey bellowed, shooing the children away. She quickly shut the door behind them, and for a while, they just stood there.

"Let's go back to our dormitories," Harry suggested, and everyone kept quiet.

"Hermione..."

Ginny began, but couldn't seem to find the words. That, for the talkative girl she is, was surprising and very rare. Harry put his palm on the small of her back comfortingly, saying that now would not be the time to talk.

But Hermione had already gone.

-

She didn't know how to react. What to say, what to do. Draco was on the edge of death, and it was all because she fell for him. She tumbled down into love, and there was no way of getting out of it.

She pressed her head firmly between her hands, and tried to breathe steadily, but failed.

Madam Pomfrey didn't even tell her what had caused all of this, but she suspected something really bad. Oh, Merlin, why was Draco always hurt?

Hermione lay down on her bed, wrapping herself up in the covers and trying to sleep. Her mind kept drifting back to him, and in the end she decided to stay up.

"I know there's nothing wrong, but what if everybody thinks it is? Then we'll be alone..."

He whispered, resting his head in his hands.

"I don't mind being alone, as long as it's with you."

Hermione remembered the time in the library, where he smiled at her after her remark. She on that moment truly felt she wasn't alone anymore, and that she would never have to feel alone. But she was wrong. They weren't together, they were ripped apart and Hermione doubted this could be fixed. All this time, did she really think everything would be perfect? Did she really think this would last?

"Hermione!"

Ginny called from the other room, but she didn't want to get up, and curled up into a ball.

"Hermione, it's Draco!"

At these words, she leaped up, her heart rythm rising, her hopes climbing.
The common room was somber, Harry and Ginny were standing side by side, with Ron in the doorway, a pained look swiped across his face. It was quite still, and Hermione knew, she knew why Ginny was looking at her with pity.

Her lips parted, but no sound came out. Her body lost all sense of feeling, because this time, he couldn't be saved.

Staring, but unseeing, Hermione let the tears stream, but still, she couldn't bring herself to say anything.

He was gone. This time he was really gone.

-

Madam Pomfrey smoothed out the covers of the hospital bed. It was clean, fresh, but she would never forget the poor souls that had lain there. She sighed, shuffling to the medicine cabinet.

It was strange, that Malfoy. The doctors from St. Mungo's hospital pronounced him dead, but she swore she saw different.

~~

"But sir! Mr. Malfoy is still breathing, I swear to you!"

She tried to approach the body, but the doctors had already blocked the way.

"Back away, lady, let the professionals handle this!"

A man harshly spoke, spreading his arms before her so that she couldn't get past him.
Madam Pomfrey was appalled, no one had ever spoken to her that way.

"But sir-"

"ENOUGH!" The man bellowed, angrily pushing her away. She could tell it was to distract her, of something strange occuring. A hint of worry quivered in his tone.

Madam Pomfrey stood away as the student was carried out, a white sheet draped across him. She felt the sinking sorrow, but she could sense something very odd.

Mr. Malfoy had clearly been alive, she saw his chest heave in great detail. She couldn't grasp her mind onto the fact that the doctors pronounced him dead.

All she knew was that they were hiding something, of utmost secrecy.