4.0 Champion Sound

Alden POV

Alden marched behind Kane with his gun up. Kane didn't allow them time to marvel at the sights. He said that they had to get to Alpha station. The terrain was rough on their feet. He had tripped at least three times already but the rest of his people were counting on him, he couldn't stop.

Kane held up his hand for the people to stop. Alden tightened his hold on his gun as Kane ushered them forward. Alden led two more guard to Kane's right flank and they quietly snuck through the forest's underbrush. Through the trees they heard cries of anger and rushed forward to see what was happening. Alden couldn't see anything but he saw Kane tense up before he shot.

Whatever Kane shot stopped moving but Kane shot it once more before he signaled the patrol to move forward. Alden stepped out of the underbrush and into the light of the path. Before him, stood a strange creature that he'd never seen before. He almost shot it on sight but couldn't bring himself to do it. Tied to the back of the creature, were two of the hundred and standing behind them were two more.

They marched forward in unison to the stunned looks of the delinquents.

"We're here now," Kane told the kids, "Everything is going to be okay."

Kane knelt down to the man he shot and rolled him over. After inspecting him, Kane nodded at Lineal who stood next to Alden to signal the rest of Mecca station to follow them. Alden didn't look at them coming but looked at one of the boys tied up to the creature.

"Bellamy Blake?" he asked stunned.

The boy in question turned to see who said his name and stared open mouthed at Alden. Alden smiled and rushed to the boy and untied him before clasping his hands on Bellamy's back. Bellamy's arms clasped tight around him in a rough hug before letting go.

"I thought you were dead," Alden laughed.

Bellamy gave his friend a soft smile, "Me too."

Alden and Bellamy were part of the same cadet training unit back on the Ark. Alden smiled as he remembered all of the times the two of them got into trouble while training. He remembered the night that Bellamy's sister was captured and felt so bad for Bellamy. Since then, they only exchanged small greetings on the Ark because Alden was everything Bellamy wanted to be: a guard.

"You okay?" Alden asked him as he staggered.

Bellamy waved him off, "I need to get back to the drop ship."

Dr. Griffin came up beside Alden and asked the two boys, "Where's Clarke? Is she alright?"

The boy next to Bellamy looked at her, "She was when we left. We'll take you to her."

Dr. Griffin and Alden began to follow the boys but Kane stopped them.

"Neilson, I didn't give you orders to leave," Alden stopped on his command.

Kane continued, "Sinclair, we're splitting up. One guard detail goes with me to the drop ship the rest go with you to Alpha Station. You have the coordinates. We'll follow as soon as we can. You six with me, you two, lead the way."

Alden followed Bellamy through the clearing and through the trees.

"Looks like you've got a story to tell me, my friend," Alden smiled at Bellamy.

Bellamy shook his head with a small smile, "Something like that."

Alden grabbed a hold of Bellamy's arm to slow him down, "Hey did you know everyone down here?"

Bellamy nodded.

"I have to ask. Do you know a girl named Andromeda?"

Alden watched as Bellamy stuttered in his steps but caught himself before he fell into the dirt.