Chapter 7

When I got to school, nothing really happened. The most awkward thing that happened was Paige talking about Grayson and I kissing at the lunch table. Other than that, nothing really happened. Nothing changed.

   I didn't have a class with Grayson, so it was easier to keep my distance.

   We talked normally, maybe a little bit more. I noticed that while we talked, he smiled a lot more. Which was good. Maybe he thought the idea of us two actually being a thing was as funny as I thought it was.

   He did walk me to third block, but only because I was telling him a story and he wanted to hear the rest of it. I went home that day and listened to music.

   I was just singing and having fun.

   I had convinced myself I didn't need Grayson or anyone. I was perfectly fine on my own. I went to bed knowing that and feeling happy.

   That Thursday, Grayson asked if he could come over to my house the next day, I told him I had this project I needed to do for English, which wasn't untrue. I did work on the project that weekend for a couple of minutes before watching the whole Star Wars hexalogy.

   Over the next two months, nothing really happened I fell into a cycle of getting up, going to school, coming home and watching some movies or listening to music.

   It was Violet's birthday party that made things interesting again. She was having a sweet sixteen party.

   Violet told us that it was just me, Grayson, Taylor, Paige and her cousin, Clara that were allowed to stay for the "after party."

   Like the bonfire, I took a shower and got dressed. This time I was wearing my black skinny jeans and a blue t-shirt. I put on my shoes. Also like last time, Grayson had to take me.

   I know that letting Grayson take me to the party was in violation of my whole "distance policy," but it's not like I had another logical choice.

   Besides, Grayson and I were pretty good friends now, just friends.

   He turned on some music which helped.

   I'm pretty sure we were both extremely aware of what happened in this car the last time we were in it. We jammed and I could tell Grayson was paying attention to my voice as we sang Secrets by One Republic.

   "Tell me what you wanna hear!" I sang. I promise it was good. Just imagine me singing really awesomely because that's what happened. "Something that were like those years. Sick of all the insincere." I kept on. "So I'm gonna give all my secrets away."

   I realize the irony of me singing a song named secrets.

   "Wow, you're really good." Grayson told me. I smiled and nodded. Violet didn't live nearly as far as Taylor, in fact, we got to her house after only three songs. When we got to her house and parked. Grayson and I both went inside. There were a lot of people there. Violet was wearing a silver dress and she looked really good in it.

   Her hair was curled and with her dark hair, it looked really nice. She smiled and walked over to us. With her fancy high heels, she was almost as tall as me.

   "Hey guys, Taylor is in the dining room if you want to go meet with her." Violet told us, pointing to a big room. Grayson and I both nodded and headed towards the room. Taylor was sitting in a chair at the table. She gestured to a couple of seats and Grayson and I sat down.

   We both talked to Taylor for a little while until Paige showed up. We kept on talking amongst ourselves for a little while longer until Violet joined us. She showed us her new outfit, like we wouldn't notice, and her new phone.