Chapter 32

It'd been nearly a year and a half since the miscarriage and since my attempt to run. Every single morning those stairs reminded me of my stupidity and it made me wish I'd died with that fall. Tobias had never spoken of it again and had even succeeded in bedding me down a few times. I hardly moved when he did. It was my biggest fear that I would mess up a second pregnancy so I let him do whatever he wanted to me. Tobias was out late again for the 6th month in a row. Like I had done so for the past few weeks, I had been lying in bed waiting for him to come home. I don't know why I waited up for him. I guess it still worried me when he wasn't taking up space in our bed. Even if he was yelling or mistreating me, I just wanted to know he was safe.

The clock ticked on until 3 in the morning then the front door swung open. His voice roared up the stairs with his heavy footsteps. I knew that tone; he was coming for me. He pushed the bedroom door open, pulling the sheets off of me.

"Get up, bitch." He growled.

The smell of alcohol made my stomach heave in disgust.

"Let go of me." I snapped, pounding on his chest.

He dragged me onto the floor, kicking me into the corner.

"Stop it!" I screeched, feeling his fists beat on my back. My lungs burned, struggling to take in air.

"I am so sick of you." He seethed, pulling my face towards him. "You disgust me."

He dragged me into the bathroom slamming the door shut. My screams echoed off the tile and the tub.

"Stop screaming!" he shouted, thrusting me into the toilet.

"Get out Tobias! Get out!"

Tobias seized me by the throat, pinning me to the door.

"I don't know why I married you. Every day is a regret. Because of you, I still don't have my family. You couldn't protect our daughter. You're weak Madison. Look at you, on the floor, a repulsive mess."

"You're draining the life out of me." I shot back.

"I had nothing to do with this. You were damaged and you'll always be damaged."

"I am not weak or damaged."

"You are, look at you. You can't even walk away from me. All you do is tell me to stop, plead for me to stop, but you do nothing. I'll always have you Madison, you'll always be mine."

I rose to my feet trying to shoot him a deadly glare. He snickered, cupping my chin. I pushed his hand away, but couldn't budge it.

"I should have married Michelle. She continues to give me more than you ever will. Those five years you wanted to be pure, I had had Michelle. You weren't worth any type of wait and I figured that out on our wedding night."

He released me, letting me slide onto the floor choking and gasping for air in suppressed sobs.

"I hate you Tobias, I hate you!"

He knelt in front of me, holding me by the neck. My flight mode kicked in, rattled by the other hand wrapped around the back of my neck.

"You hate me?" his voice sounded thin and odious.

He lifted the toilet seat dunking my face in, in the same fluid movement. I buckled, gripping the sides of the bowl. My nails slid off the smooth surface as I struggled to pull my face out. His grip tightened, making my face grow numb. The air from my lungs was stale and not nearly enough to keep me conscious. With a shaking hand I reached up for the lever and pulled it down. The water swirled down allowing me to violently suck air in. He yanked my head out, pushing my body up against the wall.