7

"You ready to go home Grace?" George brushed my shoulder lightly.

"Definitely." I smiled wearily.

"Long day?"

"Long day." I affirmed. "I don't know how you pull these long hours at a constant. I'm knackered!"

"You'll adjust." He cracked a smile, puncturing my spirits slightly at the thought of never going back home. "Now c'mon, I'll just tell the lads we're off."

"No, you go - I'll hang back."

"You sure?" He shrugged. "I mean, is everything okay? Are the lads being okay with you?"

"Oh god yeah, they're great!" I forced I lighthearted laugh. "I'll just see you in the car, okay?"

"A'right then pet." He nodded understandably. "I'll just get me stuff and I'll see you there."

I smiled genially before he saw me off. A part of me still felt that he didn't quite trust me, though I tried to suppress any scepticism at risk of lowering my spirits anymore so.

Today just hadn't been so great.
Aside from my hospitable acquaintance with Ringo, who appeared the only friendly member of the group, the rest of today was much a downfall. If not the distanced, but also confrontational hostility I received from John was not already uninviting enough, it wasn't like Paul had made much an effort to even look in my direction, and I'd barely managed to speak to George at all today. For the life any Beatles fan would dream of, came a far lonelier and isolated one of which I had never anticipated. I suppose if the high maintenance of Lennon-McCartney didn't approve of you, you were not destined to experience an enjoyable time.

I brushed my mangled hair from my face irritably, as I began to easily lose my patience; the frustration of being unable to get along with them disheartened whatever hopes I'd had with them. By the time I reached George's car and slid into the passenger seat, I received a weighing feeling when I tried to relax. I suppose it was best not to take it to the chin for the moment; it was only the beginning of things - I was sure I could try again tomorrow. Maybe they'd warm up to me?

I gave a short sigh before switching the radio on:

"And now for another from our hit makers!
The Beatles!

'If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything I can do-'"

"Are you actually kidding me?" I scoffed, firmly smacking the radio vexedly to turn off again, and resisting the urge to slam my face into the driving wheel.

As much as that song had cheered me up yesterday...(well, fifty years or so into the future I suppose)...it's efforts to raise my spirits now were worthless as the band itself was causing such a downfall upon me.
I thought nothing of it for the time being, I was probably just a little exhausted after my day after all, and things would be better tomorrow.

It was then that I heard the door of the drivers side click open, making me jump slightly as it snapped me from my thoughts, and saw George Harrison hopping into his seat beside me.

"I didn't take too long did I?" He asked as he turned the key into the ignition.

I shook my head laconically.

"You okay?" He paused from his preoccupying tasks to eye me solemnly.

"Yeah, yeah." I smiled feebly. "Just tired."

"Best get you home then." He nodded, setting the car into reverse.

***