Prologue

"They are here," the Shade sniffed, "very close." He looked directly at the tree they were hiding behind, grinning sadistically.

Brom crept out and began to battle the shade, Sally watching in amazement, still behind the tree. Brom grinned, turned back to the shade, and stabbed him through the heart.

But then he heard a scream.

Sally!

Brom looked to see that Sally was in the arms of a huge being. It held her in a chokehold and she struggled against it. Brom felt so helpless, if he tried anything it would hit her. Sally was only beginning to learn the rules of the ancient language, so she couldn't do anything. He watched, as the being flashed away in a beam of light.

Brom stared at the spot where his sister had just disappeared, deep in thought. He then proceeded to curse the fates in every language he knew. He let out a deep sigh. I've already lost Saphira, how many more have to die before this cursed war was over? he thought to himself.

Without another word, Brom quietly slipped out of The Spine, heading back toward Carvahall to meet his son.

Hours later, as he stared into his son's deep brown eyes, one thought puzzled Brom, Where was his sister?

He knew he had to find her, he would just have to wait, and he would wait for as long as it took.