Chapter 18

Evie's P.O.V

"Why do you have this?" I asked. the picture is really cute though.
FOCUS EVIE.
"You know why." He hissed.
"You don't- you don't love Audrey?" I asked, staring. at the picture of him and Mal. I thought she was kidding about this.
"We have been through this." He groaned. I just glared. "I know your friends with her. And so is... Mal."
"EXACTLY. She is our friend. You can't expect me to cheer for you because you are into my friend."
"And why not."
"Because there is the other friend that comes into play. Audrey is sweet, compationit, helpful." I just looked at his facial expression right there. And I understood. Mal is all of those things too. I finally get it.
"Audrey wasn't the one you love with. Because you fell in love with Mal. You in love with Mal.'' He ripped the picture out of my hand.

"Don't get me wrong. Audrey is an amazing person, and and amazing friend. She just isn't one person I can love like she want me to. Ad I will not try."
"What?"
"Look Evie. I tried. I really did." He got up, looking around the room.
"I tried I fall in love with Audrey. I tried to get over Mal when you guys left. I tried to not think about her every day of 5 years strait. I tried to make everyone happy. I tried. But trying isn't always enough. " He pulled his hair, breathing heavily. I didn't know what to say now. he just spilled his heart out to me, and I don't know what to say to him.

"Look Ben." I said, trying to bring him back to reality. "I get you are stressed. With being king. With the wedding, which only God knows when is happening. With us."
"Welcome to the last five years." He scoffs, making a bad joke.
"Look. That's life. I know that might not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth. Life is what you aren't expecting. The thing that you have plans for. Like when you planed on being a regular teenager, until you were 16. And like you planed on wanting to make a difference for your kingdom. By inviting four kids that didn't know anything but the ruins of a dark island." I looked at his newly made puppy dog face, and continued talking.

"But it's also when your plans tip everything over. Like when those four kids came and you fell in love with one of them. The purple haired girl. The daughter of the worst villain ever. The girl you knew you would do anything for. And she turns your entire life around." I laughed, not knowing what emotion to show.

"Because I love her. She just doesn't live me back." He frowned.
"Life sucks. I know that okay? But I know there's a reason. There is a reason that you can't get Mal out of your head. There is a reason that Mal is out with Evan right now. There is a reason that I feel safe around Doug. Just like there is a reason that Carlos is scared to go by Duke, because he doesn't want to love the little guy again. And finally how Jay sneaks off to play tourney when he thinks no one is watching." I slowed down. Realizing home mug I just talked. I paused and watched Ben. His face was courteous and inviting. Like a child wanting more of the story before bed time.
"There is a reason for everything. Call it what you want. Voodoo, magic, destiny, whatever. I don't know what it is either. But i call it fate. And fate doesn't always go the way you want it to. It isn't always what you want. But it's there. An there is no escaping that. Fate is a nasty thing."