Chapter 3

DISCLAIMER: I do not own any of these characters because Shannon Messenger does

Sophie ran into the room. She saw Prentice thrashing and struggling against some invisible force. "What did you do to him?" She asked quietly, afraid to know the answer "They didn't do anything," a deep voice answered. Sophie looked up and saw Wylie's dark skin streaked with tears "They didn't do anything," he whispered again. Sophie couldn't bear to look at Wylie anymore and looked around the room instead. To her surprise she saw Fitz standing there "What are you doing here?" she asked "He's your cognate, you wouldn't expect us to let you do one of the most important healings of your life without backup would you?" Mr. Forkle appeared behind her. The most important healing of her life? Doubt started to wiggle into her mind "But - but what if I can't do it? What if his mind is too broken? What if -" 

"Sophie," said Mr. Forkle "You were created to do this. And questioning yourself will only get in the way of your concentration." 

Sophie took a deep breath, Mr. Forkle was right. She could do this, "When do we start?" she asked 

"As soon as you kids are all moved out and settled back in the Lost Cites," 

"What? You expect me to go back to the Cities and eat mallowmelt while Prentice is like this?" Sophie was furious 

"No Sophie, we do not expect you to eat mallowmelt when you are back in the Cities. But we do expect you to prepare yourself in the Cities. This is no ordinary healing, it will be the hardest one you have had to endure. Besides, if you heal him now, it wouldn't be safe for you or for him. Think about it, if you heal Prentice and he wakes up in an unfamiliar place, won't he be even more freaked out?" Sophie reluctantly nodded her head "We just wanted you to see how serious this was. We'll send you a message when it is time." Sophie glared at Mr. Forkle, it made sense but it still didn't make not want to put her hands on Prentice's temples and heal him right then. 

***************

Sophie got back to her room and found Dex frantically running around in circles with his hands in front him. "Um, Dex. What are you doing?" Sophie raised an eyebrow at the bizzare sight "Oh, um, hey Sophie," Dex blushed "I was just playing chase with Biana," Sophie lifted the other eyebrow "And were's Biana?" Biana suddenly appeared right behind Dex and playfully shoved him "I win!" she shouted "No fair! You can turn invisible!" "Well duh," Biana replied. Sophie laughed, "I'm going to start packing now," "Don't worry about it, I already did that," Biana said "Thanks!" Sophie said "No problem, I needed something to occupy my mind other than . . ." Biana stared at the floor. "I'm so sorry," Sophie said, hugging Biana "It's ok. I just wish that we could've helped him," Mr. Forkle shouted from the kitchen that they should be ready to leave in 2 minutes. Sophie sighed, and then she walked out of her room with Biana at her side and Dex on her other.

     "Good, you're all here," Mr. Forkle said as they met at the common room "I have another announcement to make. As we all know, Keefe Sencen has left for the Neverseen," Sophie chocked back a sob "Somehow he was able to contact them from this facility, either that or we have a traitor, what we need to find out is who or how. While you are at the Cities, I expect you to find out as much as you can." How could she find out anything if there were no clues? Sophie thought bitterly Wait, what about the necklace? Sophie reached to her neck to touch it and it was gone.

A/N: Totally unexpected plot twist there, did NOT see that coming...