You make him sleep on the couch

1 / 1

2/1781

Preference 84 - You Make Him Sleep On The Couch

Harry - you turned over, frustrated, seething from words Harry had spun during the fight, things you knew he didn’t mean but hurt all the same. In your head, you wondered why you’d told him he had to sleep on the couch when it was the last thing you wanted. You sighed, and peeled back the covers, tiptoeing to the bedroom door and leaving the sheets and pillows behind. You walked downstairs slowly, and stepped into the living room. “Harry?” You murmured his name. Six-foot-something frame sprawled across the couch, curls a fritz around his head, he stirred when you whispered his name. Swallowing your pride, you shifted some of the blanket around him back, and slipped underneath its warmth, wriggling closer to Harry’s body, careful to keep from falling off the edge and onto the floor. 

"Mmm, (Y/N)? What are you doing?" Harry woke up slowly, his eyes finding you as you peered at him. 

"I’m sorry," you murmured slowly, "I shouldn’t have made you sleep on the couch. I was just as much in the wrong. And besides," you smiled ashamedly, "I couldn’t even get to sleep without you. I just missed you."

"You gonna suffer here with me, then?" He smirked lazily, swallowing thickly and peering his eyes open wider. You smiled off the hook and let him encase you in one of his arms, tugging you further away from the edge and closer into his warm chest, cavity of hot air and hot skin, safety. 

Liam - you shut your eyes tightly when you heard the bedroom door creak, and Liam slip past the wood, pillow in his hands to his chest, an expression on his face you couldn’t see. “Babe?” His little voice sounded out in the dark. 

"Go away, I’m sleeping," you snapped at him, anger still resting in you as you tried to rest, having banished him to the couch three quarters of an hour ago. 

"I can’t sleep," he sighed, and you turned over frustratedly, in time to see him lean against the wall, clutching the pillow to his chest. You rubbed a hand down your face and picked words in your head. 

"Me neither," you admitted eventually, "I can’t sleep without you."

Liam shuffled his pyjama bottoms on the floor, “then can I… can I maybe come back to bed, and lie with you?”

The covers came along as you sat up, legs apart, eyes searching for his eyes in the dark, realising they were sad, cheeks puffed by lack of sleep, lips puffed and slipped out. “Yes, please,” you tried smiling, and let him walk towards you. He knocked the pillow aside and took your cheeks in his damp hands. 

"I’m sorry, okay? I really, really, really am sorry…" he murmured before kissing your lips, "I love you, and the couch is scary. Don’t ever make me sleep out there again."

Louis - ”You know what,” you shouted across the room, “you can go sleep on the couch tonight. I don’t even want to look at you right now!”

"You cannot be serious," Louis followed you as you marched to the stairwell, catching your wrist on the first level. He spun you around, eyes darkening by the mirror of yours, "don’t do this, babe. Stop being dramatic!"

"This isn’t dramatic," you snarled, shaking him off, "no, this is completely rational, Louis! Dramatic would be taking all of the blankets out of the living room, and all the pillows, not even letting you have the couch, making you sleep on the floor! You want that, huh? Because that would be dramatic!” You took the next step, a kind of unstoppable anger in you, every syllable from his mouth making it worse, every breath, every growl making your veins jump in heat. “You cannot be serious, this is unbelievable,” Louis shouted after you, dragging a hand through his hair, “hey, wait!”

He hurried after you, and caught you again at the landing. You froze as he spun you around and pressed you to the banister. “I know you can’t go to sleep without me,” he leant closely and tipped breath by your neck as he brushed your hair back, “I know you don’t really want me on the couch…”

"Wanna bet?" You hitched your breath for a second, and threw him off, stalking towards the bedroom, slam of the door behind you, leaving him shocked, where he was. 

Zayn - you didn’t realise he was turning over the same way you were, a little less comfortably, the hard back of the couch digging towards his side, keeping his arm from knocking out, his elbow into the deep covering. You sighed as you blinked a few times, trailing one hand down the sheets on his side of the bed, wondering what he was thinking about downstairs, in the living room, where you’d sent him, realising you weren’t angry anymore, you just missed him. Already. You groaned as you leant over towards the bedside table, reaching for your phone. You picked it up and dialled his number, hearing it ring dully downstairs. 

"(Y/N)?" Zayn was groggy when he answered. 

"Hey," you sat up and crossed one arm over your chest, "are you getting any sleep?"

"Honestly," Zayn answered softly, "no… our couch isn’t really as comfy as I thought it was. How’s the bed?"

"Empty," you sighed, "without you in it. I’m… Zayn, I’m sorry. This was all very mean of me. Wanna come back to bed?"

You heard Zayn chuckle over the line, and almost in real time as noise carried itself along each step and into the bedroom. “You know me too well, babe,” you heard him smile, “I’ll be up in a second.”

Niall - "You’ve got to be kidding me!" Niall huffed in frustration, as you threw him another pillow, and he caught it around his middle, struggling not to drop it at first. 

"As serious as ever, babe," you snarled and knocked your head to the bedroom door, "go on, have fun out there. Let me know how comfy it is out there, will you?"

"Fine," he snapped, and scrunched the pillow you’d given him in his fist, stalking the length of the bedroom to the door, slamming it shut behind him. You reconsidered your own words as you threw back the covers and fell down onto the mattress, pulling them to your middle as you tried to get comfy. A second later, the door swung open again and Niall stormed in, closing it swiftly behind him. He made his way to the bed, tossed down the pillow, threw his shirt over his head and climbed into the bed. 

"Um, what do you think you’re doing?" You yelled over at him, turning the bedside lamp on, a small groan escaping. 

"We forgot about Zayn…" Niall shut his eyes tightly and rubbed his temples, "he’s sleeping on the couch tonight, till he can get his car tomorrow. We forgot."

"Oh…" his words stopped you where you were, silence seething until the only thing you could think to do was smile. 

"Can we please not be mad at one another anymore?" Niall did the same, breaking into a grin as he slid down onto his elbow and turned to face you. 

"Yeah," you laughed, and snuggled into his side, "it does’t matter anyway. I would’ve come and got you after five minutes, you know I can’t sleep without you…"

Credit: chunkysoup