First Impressions (Part 1)

"Excuse me?" This isn't right. There must be a mistake. "Ikon Magazine? A tabloid? Bay can't possibly be sending me to a tabloid monthly magazine."

"It is written here. In black and white." The Human Resources lady that was my first contact with Bay Media Inc. showed me the document that proved her words, "Kylie Gordon is to work as an editor for Ikon Magazine. So, let's go. I'll show you around and leave you at the department."

I arrived earlier that I was supposed to. I wanted to make no mistakes, and even if I lived close by 101 California Street, I wanted to make sure that I was there on time. 101 California was a recognized San Francisco landmark that enlivened the city skyline; It's timeless modern design encompassed a cylindrical tower of 48 stories atop one of San Francisco's most coveted plazas.

Or so it said in its publicity.

My new job as an editor in Bay Media Inc. was in the heart of San Francisco's Financial District. I prepared myself to have a great job at one of the most important publisher companies in the country. I selected my clothes carefully as well, I knew first impressions were very important. Now I felt overdressed. A freaking tabloid, I should be wearing jeans.

As a professional adult, I was taught to dress formally in neutral tones. I mostly chose skirts for the office; today was not the exception. For my first day at my new job I chose to wear a beige blouse with an elegant bow in the front, a black pencil skirt and tan high heels with a twist on the top. I kept my makeup simple and natural, and didn't use much jewelry but my golden watch, metallic bronze bracelets with matching earrings and a beige purse that didn't clash the black and brown portfolio that kept my CV, some work samples and personal laptop. My hair displayed its natural light chestnut brown color in an elegant braid twist. My aim, as usual, was to look as presentable as possible and now I questioned my intentions.

A tabloid. I could possibly be wearing denim shorts and flip flops.

"I know what you must be thinking," the sympathetic HR lady said, "Tabloids are basically the lowest possible form of publication. However, I would like to point out that since Bay Media hired a new editor-in-chief last year, their sales had been one of the best ever."

I tried to make sense of all the information she was giving me. At least Ikon Magazine wasn't the worst publication on the planet. The idea that it gained popularity during the lasts months appealed to me. I couldn't be that bad, and if it was, I could always look for a job somewhere else. I'll give it two weeks. I had to try it out at least.

"Also, it doesn't hurt that Mr. Howard's super hot!" Now the Human Resources lady sounded like a teenager, and if she wanted to convince me to stay with boy talk she couldn't be more wrong. The last thing in my mind were boys and a relationship with them. I had to stay focus on my career.

"Here we are! This is your new department: Ikon Mag!" she proudly announced.

The office was a mess. It was all disorganized, people running around like chickens without head, and it even smelled. What is this place?

"Betty, Betty! You're my salvation! Bring me some water, would you?" A skinny blonde girl that looked half dead begged the Human Resources lady. She got a grip of Betty's blue skirt and continued, "I can't leave my desk, Howard would kill me. Please, bring me some water...."

Human Resources Betty got a hold of the begging blonde hands and loosen her skirt from her tensed fingers, "I can't, Tori. Now let go." HR Betty rearranged her navy skirt and then her pony tail, "Where's Mr. Howard? I have to introduce him to the new editor."

"He's somewhere in the back. Don't mind him, Howard's gone crazy today." Blonde nonsensical Tori wanted to convince HR Betty to help her out, "Be a friend and go get me some water. The deadline is today and there's one article missing. Howard's ballistic."

Suddenly, there was some movement in the back of the office. A very tall and annoyed brunet approached us. "Who's saying my name? If you have time to talk behind my back, you have too much free time." He was broad and handsome. His dark hair was cut in a modern fashion, and his eyes were hidden behind black framed lenses. "Tori, get your ass to work! The deadline is today and time's running short."

The man was rude and the three editors in the office seem to be afraid of him.

I gave him a thoughtful inspection. He was handsome alright, but his attitude was certainly unattractive. Mr. Howard wasn't exactly dressed informally, but his clothes were all wrinkled, as if his work day had started several hours back and not just a few. His clothing showed taste, however. He was wearing an elegant white shirt with a turkish blue light sweater on top of a pair of oxford gray pants. He looked sharp.

Apparently, he was checking me out, too.

"Who's that?" he said while pointing at me using his squared chin.

Human Resources Betty got nervous and played with the buttons of her light pink shirt, "Huh, good morning, Mr. Howard." She gave me a little push and made a really weird introduction, "Here, I just brought Kylie Gordon, your new editor. And, well, that's it. Have a nice day."

Betty ran away and left me with the big bad wolf.

"Are you a new part-timer?" Mr. Howard asked me.

"No, sir." I answered back, he wasn't going to intimidate me. I offered my hand and introduced myself, my bronze bracelets jingled with the movement, "I'm a full time editor. Kylie Gordon, nice to meet you."

Mr. Howard left my hand extended and went back to his desk without looking at me for a second time, "I don't have time to lose with you today, formal introductions will have to wait until tomorrow. Park wherever you find a place and try to stay out of everyone's way." He pointed to a desk station that seem as if no one was using and went back to his own at the end of the ample office and by the window.

As he sat on his pale leather chair his cellphone rang, "Yeah, what the hell do you want?" Mr. Howard listened to the person at the other end of the line and somehow his attitude changed, "Are those pics ready? Let me have a look at them."

He looked into his bright white Samsung desktop computer.

I wanted nothing else but to ignore him. I left my beige leather bag on top of my work station, on the side of a mirror computer to Mr. Howard's, and then took my Chromebook from my briefcase. I had brought my laptop in case the department didn't provide me of one and I needed to start working right away. Now I knew that I wouldn't use either computer to do anything productive for the day.

"No, no! This isn't right." Howard sounded more frustrated that he did before, but at least he wasn't screaming, "Why can't you fucking get what I say?"

What's wrong with that man?

Did he have to be so rude?

"Stay there, don't you dare move." He stood up and continued, "I'm on my way. Keep the models with you. I'll only take a few minutes."

He walked to my side, took my black and brown portfolio from my hands and placed it on the floor next to my crystal desk.

"Well, newby, you might be useful today after all." Mr. Howard took my hand and hurried to the elevator, "Leave your things and come with me."

~*~*~*~~*~*~*~

This is the first part of "First Impressions," please go ahead and read the second. 

What was your first impression of Mr. Howard?