Chapter 12

Chapter 12:
What Once Was

"Iwaizumi Hajime."

Three years - it has been three years since that name came out of Oikawa's lips. The cold breeze coming from the open sea pierced through both layers of Oikawa's clothing, sending chills down his spine.

Sugawara and Daichi exchanged unsettled looks as they looked at the man standing behind Oikawa. They didn't know what to do, or how to react until Sugawara decided to pull his husband aside, and excusing themselves to tend to the other visitors.

The painful memories from three years ago swooped over Oikawa. He gritted his teeth as he listened to the sound of his heart - the sound of his heart getting torn again into shreds for the first time in three years.

Oikawa took off his glasses, wiping its lens with a clean piece of cloth. Everything became blurry with tears as the painful memories from the past got to him again.

"Oi," Iwaizumi called once more as his heart beat frantically. His hands were still inside his pockets as he looked at the familiar stance in front of him. Iwaizumi brushed his fingers through his tousled hair as he swallowed the lump forming inside his throat when Oikawa turned to face him.

Oikawa cocked a brow as he adjusted his glasses, crossing his arms in front of him, and he shifted his weight uncomfortably. The brunette tilted his head to the side as his lips broke into a bogus smile. "Iwaizumi Hajime, what a pleasant surprise!"

"Can we talk?" Iwaizumi's expression softened as Oikawa let out a faint snicker. He looked at Iwaizumi in disbelief, cupping his chin with his fingers.

"I believe that we have nothing to talk about." Oikawa smiled sourly as he walked towards his ex-lover, he stopped when his face leveled his and whispered into his ears. "It was so nice seeing you again, Hajime. Thank you for the painful reminder of the past."

"Are you alright Oikawa-san?" Nishinoya asked when he came across Oikawa, who seemed to be zoning out. The brunette ignored his inquiry as he smiled at the short guy in front of him. Nothing had changed when it came to Nishinoya's appearance. Tiny tufts of hair bleached with a dirty blond hue still cascaded over his forehead. His hairstyle was still the same back in high school, ruffling his locks upward. And Oikawa noticed that Nishinoya hadn't grown an inch over the years, the thought making Oikawa chuckle inwardly.

"A-Are you alright, Oikawa-san?" Nishinoya pouted as he cupped his chin with his two fingers. Oikawa gave him a nod in response and he petted his hair, tangling it, before walking past the multi-awarded libero. Nishinoya's brows furrowed as he ruffled his hair upward, his eyes fixated on Oikawa's retreating figure.

The sea smelled like a sail of which billows had caught up water, salt and the cold sun. It had a simple smell, the sea, but at the same time it smelled immense and unique, so much that Oikawa hesitated to dissect the odors into fishy, salty, watery, seaweed-y, fresh-airy, and so on.

Oikawa lifted his head up as his eyelids fluttered shut. The skies were already crimson red as the sun descended through the sky, towards the horizon, and Oikawa couldn't help but marvel at the breathtaking sight. Unbeknownst to him, tears started to stream from his hazel orbs as he stared aimlessly into the open seas.

Oikawa was quite sure that he expected this to happen. The thought of this day has been haunting him ever since he left. Oikawa was sure as hell that he looked like a complete idiot in front of Iwaizumi, he prepared himself for this day, and he couldn't believe that he was limited to just three sentences earlier. He was supposed to say more, his thoughts was supposed to say more, but Oikawa realized that what happened earlier was much better. He didn't want to ruin Sugawara and Daichi's special day, anyway.