Chapter 32

I'm sorry I haven't updated for more than a week! I was really busy with my school work and found myself lacking the time to upload. This week's really busy since we have a lot of school activities--not to mention we have a festival we're preparing for this month! So yeah, really busy! I know you guys said I updated short chapters, so I tried to make this one long! :DD I know it might not be enough to compensate for the time you guys waited, but I do hope you like it still!

-*-

Chapter 32

A few moments passed by and Akira remained silent, focusing on the current battle at hand. She could hear the sound of pained screams, agonized howls, growling, gunshots, and all sorts of unpleasant things.

      Kathrynne came sliding beside them, her white fur coated in dirt and blood. The familiar sight of the crimson liquid trickled down from her lips. It made her wolf form even more menacing than it already was. She didn’t look pleased at all.

      ‘Where the hell are your reinforcements, Adam? My men can’t hold out any longer! We’re in seriously deep trouble right now!’

      ‘Just a little longer! I have faith in Marcus!’ He replied.

      ‘A little longer would be too late! Those bastards are increasing every minute and we’re all dying!

      ‘No one’s dying!’ Akira heard him growl mentally, which in turned initiated a hard, serious look from her mother. ‘I will not let anymore of us die.’

      Adam jumped into motion and moved even faster, taking out more men than before. Akira tried to keep herself intact on his back while still shooting the remaining darts to cover his back, but the action proved to be hard.

      She grunted when her shot almost missed her target.

      “Calm the hell down, Adam!” She hissed at him. “With the way you’re moving, I won’t be able to get a clear shot!”

      ‘You can stop now, Akira. I’ll protect you.’

      He sounded . . . so determined. Even though Akira couldn’t get a proper look on his face, she understood perfectly what he was feeling. He was feeling the drive to protect his people—the drive to protect the things important to him. It was clear like crystal. With the way he moved—how much effort he exerted. He truly was a deserving man for the title of Alpha.

      “We can’t have that now.” She told him and suggested, “Aren’t we mates?”

      Adam looked startled for a moment, the visible widening of his wolf-like eyes made Akira raise her brows. When she realized what she said, she hopelessly tried to reason out.

      “I mean—that’s what you told me. And it doesn’t mean I already accepted it!”

      ‘It’s alright. I perfectly get what you were trying to say. But still, I’m happy. I love you, Akira. You’re right. Then why don’t we protect these people—our people, together? You’re my Luna after all.’

      “I—that’s not . . .” She sighed. It seemed like it was helpless to keep up the façade. She wanted to act like she didn’t care, but her heart said otherwise. If she continued this way, she would probably be contradicting what she truly felt. “Yeah. Together.”

      ‘Finally.’ Adam said. ‘For once, you finally accepted.’

      “Look here, bastard! Just because I said yeah, doesn’t mean I’m actually agreeing with you!” She yelled at him. “It doesn’t mean anything!”