Chapter 16 - The Walk Of Shame Is The Only Exercise You Get

The days that followed the first hospital visit were torture for me pure and simple. I wasn’t allowed to see my mother because my father insisted that I couldn’t handle seeing her in that state while I had been given the responsibility of looking after Jake as my father spent most of the time at hospital. It didn’t help that I had been forced to go into college so I didn’t fall behind on my work which didn’t matter anyway since it was too late for that.

“I so don’t want to go revise for English now,” I grumbled.

“Well we have our mock next lesson so best hit those books, Einstein,” Lucy said as we exited the history department.

Her words had me halting to a stop as I looked at her with dismay. “I thought that wasn’t for like a week! I’m so screwed because I’ve been way too distracted lately to get any revision done.”

“Well, I’m sure Miss Border will understand even if she is a bit of a bumbling freak. And the test is tomorrow so you have plenty of time,” she said stepping closer to me to let people get by as we had stopped in the middle of the corridor.

I couldn’t help but grimace. These mock exams would be the basis for our predicted grades which get sent off to the universities later this year and I couldn’t afford to fail. I didn’t even know where I wanted to go but I knew no respectable establishment was going to take a student who had predicted a ‘U’ for English and I would be damned if I didn’t at least try to take some control of my life back.

“I’m off to the library,” I announced.

“You’re gonna kill it,” Lucy said over her shoulder as she made her way in the other direction. “You go into that test and beat it like its Chris Brown. And no, I’m not apologizing for that joke.”

I was making my way to the college library, having an internal breakdown, when I saw Drew. He was sitting on one of the chairs outside in the resting area, while talking to his friends. I hadn’t seen him since the day at the hospital and a feeling over complete dread washed over me as I was unsure of how to act around him now. We were ‘friends’ so it would have been appropriate for me to go say hi to him but since he was with all of his other friends, who were still rocking the pretentious hipster look with the John Lennon glasses and tip dyed hair, I wasn’t sure if he would even acknowledge me.

I was planning on walking by him while pretending to find interest in something on my phone but as I walked closer I got distracted by the guy himself. He was lounging on one of the chairs, his long legs sprawled out in front of him, and he had that usual look of indifference on his face that I hadn’t seen for so long. My mind flashed back to the night of the party where he had confessed in his drunken state that he was shy and I struggled to reconcile that with the boy I knew who teased and frustrated me endlessly. Almost as if he felt my gaze on him he looked up and his pretty emerald eyes bored into mine.

I came to an automatic stop and my eyes widen as he got up and made his way in my direction.

“Hey Sophia,” he said once he had come to a stop.

I could hear his friends whispering or boring a hole into his back as I shot him a small smile. It got to the point where it took all that I had not to flip them off.

“How’s your mum?” he asked, snapping my attention back to him.

“She’s better now, thanks,” I said, looking over his shoulder at his friends. “Still got a long way to go but luckily her and the baby are both fine.”

I turned my gaze to Drew and I could feel myself drowning in his deep, twinkling emerald eyes as they looked at me with something that I can only call sympathy. It was always his eyes that made me catch my breath because they were so beautiful and held so much emotion that he didn’t need to speak for you to know what he was feeling. I had to remember to ask him if he wore contacts because it wasn’t fair if mother nature gave him a clear complexion and pretty eyes while I was stuck with mild freaking acne and as eyes as boring as Nicki Minaj’s fake British accent.