Chapter 20

Genisis laughed as Roman played with Baby on her living room floor. It had been a few weeks since she got out of the hospital. He was waiting on her hand and foot. Taylar and Riley stayed with Brian. Taylar didn't seem to mind. She went up to visit them every day. And rode horses with them. Roman prayed every night that her memory never came back.

"Mommy! I got to jump Whippet!" Taylar cheered as she ran up the porch steps.

Genisis stood as Taylar ran through the open door. Brian stepped in with Riley and Genisis went to them. She smiled as she let Riley grab her finger.

"Hey Riley," she sang. "I have something for you."

Riley giggled and reached for Genisis.

"Ma-Ma!" she called out.

Brian felt his heart break yet again. Genisis laughed it off and went upstairs. She came back down with a box. It was a jumper.

"You hang it in a doorway," she explained. "She can jump while you or your girlfriend cook in the kitchen or clean the house."

Brian forced a smile. But it didn't fool Genisis. Somehow she felt connected to him. She could tell when he was being sincere or not. Strange for her to have just met him at the hospital. It hurt when he told her the baby she had by Roman died. But his daughter, Riley, filled a big chunk of that hole. It helped that she looked just a bit like Taylar. But she looked back to Brian.

"Are you sure you're okay Brian?" she asked.

"I'm just tired Genisis," he lied. "But I need to ask you a huge favor."

"Anything." she agreed without even know what it was.

"I'm getting deployed in a few days for a few months," he explained. "Would you look after Riley for me? Just you."

Genisis beamed and he swore he loved her even more at that moment. In her mind she barely knew him. But she treated him like she'd know him forever. He watched as she kissed on Riley's cheek and made cooing noises. Riley giggled Genisis laughed.

"I think she likes me," she said absently. "Where's her mother?"

Brian felt his chest constrict. He cleared his throat and replied, "She's around."

Genisis glanced at him and said, "Oh. Okay. I'm sure she has her reasons for not being there."

"You have no clue." Brian retorted.

He said it under her breath and Genisis didn't hear him. Roman walked over and Brian looked at him like he wanted to murder him right there. He was only letting him live because he didn't wanna be the cause of Genisis's heart ache. Even though he was her rightful partner. She wore her engagement ring on her necklace. She told him she didn't know what the ring was about but she also didn't feel right being without it.

"Brian?" Genisis called to him.

He looked down to her beautiful brown eyes. He smiled as she straightened his hair on his forehead. She smiled back and he could've sworn she was flirting. Roman cleared his throat and she stepped away from him.

"We'll take good care of Riley." Roman said with a smirk on his face.

Genisis looked to Roman with her hand on her hip as she said, "He said me. Not you. I'll take care of Riley. You'll busy yourself with whatever. I got this."

"Baby you just got out of the hospital." he reasoned.

"I'm fine though," she assured him. "If I need help with anything I'll call Rose."

Brian glared at Roman from behind Genisis. He motioned to Genisis head then made a firing gun motion at Roman with his hand. Roman smiled and pulled Genisis to him. She laughed and embraced him. Brian grabbed Riley's gift and walked out.

***a month later***

Brian had been deployed nearly a month ago. Genisis sat watching Riley play with Baby on the floor. She was gone have to talk to Brian about getting her a puppy. Maybe a Collie like Baby. For some reason she kept thinking about Brian. She looked out on the porch at Roman. She'd promised Brian she wouldn't let Roman touch Riley and she intended to keep her word. No matter how mad Roman got about it.

"Ma-Ma," Riley called.

Genisis looked down at her feet to see Riley reaching up to her. She smiled as she lifted the chubby bundle into her arms. She stood and walked to the kitchen as she said, "How about some yogurt and granola, Munchkin?" Riley giggled and babbled as Genisis looked through the fridge.

Sitra walked into the house and straight over to Genisis.

She pulled her around to face her as she said, "Gen you ain't have to go and get back with Roman because of me!"

Roman rushed in after her. Genisis looked at Sitra confused. She asked, "Sitty what are you talking about? Back with him?"

Sitra cocked her hip out and said, "Girl don't play stupid. Look, I know I said you should leave Brian! But after thinking about what you said I realized you were right! Brian does love you and treat you better than this cheat!"

Genisis shook her head as if clearing it.

"Wait," she blurted as she tried to understand. "Me and Roman have never broken up! And Brian is in love with Riley's mother!"

Sitra looked to Roman then back to Genisis. She stepped around the counter and grabbed Genisis's free hand.

"Gen," she called softly. "I don't know what's happened to you since I've been gone... But, Honey, you are Riley's mother. You're who Brian is in love with. Genisis, you're engaged to the man! That's the ring on your damn necklace! I don't know what the hell Roman has done to you. But you are not his girlfriend anymore. Genisis, Roman was engaged the entire time you were dating. You lost y'all baby the day you found out. We moved here and you met Brian. Y'all fell in love and y'all made Riley. How can you not know this?!"

Genisis looked to Roman. He stepped toward her as he said, "Baby, she's lying. She doesn't want you with me. Riley doesn't even look anything like you."

Genisis looked to Riley. Suddenly all her features started popping out at her. Her lips. The shape of her eyes. Her smile.

Genisis looked to Roman with tears in her eyes.

She turned and left the kitchen with Riley. She ran upstairs with her and shut herself in her room. She sat in the floor as memories flooded her mind. She remembered first meeting Brian, their awkward beginning, their time spent fixing the house together, their bonding and telling each other their past over a long walk, their love making. Oh she remembered that so vividly. The way he touched her body firm yet gently. The soft caresses of her curves. She felt his lips hot and aggressive against hers.

She looked to Riley and smiled. She had a baby. A beautiful baby girl. She remembered the night he proposed. She took her ring from her necklace and placed it on her finger. Her chest swelled as she thought of Brian. Oh Brian. Watching her with another man knowing all along. She silently thanked the heavens that she'd never been intimate with Roman. He'd tried. But something never felt right about it.

"Genisis," she heard Roman call.

He stepped in the door and looked to her sitting on the floor. He walked over to her as she stood, leaving Riley on the floor. He reached for her and she balled her fist and struck him in his jaw. BREAKING IT!!!

He hollered in pain and she gripped her hand as she winced in pain. Sitra stepped in saying, "Gen, I'm gonna-"

She stopped short when she saw Roman holding his slightly crooked jaw on the floor and Genisis holding her hand. She hopped over Roman and rushed to Genisis.

"What happened," she asked concerned.

"I hit him and hurt my hand," Genisis explained.

Sitra picked up Riley and said, "Okay. Let's get you to the hospital."

Genisis nodded and stepped over to Roman. She looked down at him as she said, "When I get back, you and your shit better be gone."

They walked out and headed to the hospital as Taylar took off toward Brian's ranch on Whippet with Baby running along behind them.