Chap. 1 The Fall

I don't own anything in this book.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a perfect birthday. Dick woke up early and gave a big smile to his parents. The smile only got bigger when he remembered that finally, he got to perform in the final act. If only he had known ahead of time...

Line break, just because

"Come on Dick, it's almost time to perform!" The young boy back flipped over to his parents, unable to contain his excitement. With pale skin, dark black hair, and piercing blue eyes, Dick was most times labeled as odd. The insults only got worse when people would discover that he could only speak Romanian. Oh, Dick could understand English perfectly fine, but he found actually working his tongue around the vowels extremely hard.

Regardless, that hindrance was not going to stop the high-spirited boy from doing what he loved. That just happened to be flying with his parents on the trapeze.

After getting dressed, Dick rushed towards the practice area, not capable of containing his excitement anymore. His parents just laughed at his enthusiasm, knowing that they wouldn't be able to hold the young boy back. When nearing the tent, Dick noticed a slight shadow but thought nothing of it. If only he had known ahead of time what that mistake would mean.

"Mami,Tati, grăbește-te!" (Mommy, Daddy, hurry up!) Dick's parents smile at the hyperactive boy, personally excited to see the boy on the trapeze again. Although Dick didn't admit it, he was a prodigy flying through the air, capable of performing the family signature move without a net by age 6, which was two years ago. Now, on his 8th birthday, Dick would be able to perform for the first time ever, including the quadruple flip.

Sliding on his colorful costume, the young boy was jumping and backflipping around the room, needing to release some pent up energy and nerves. His mom walks over and kneels down by him, brushing his black hair out his bright blue eyes and covers them with a black domino mask. "I know you don't like wearing the mask Dick, but it's part of the show, ok? You'll be fine."

Dick smiles at her and nods, getting into position with his parents. They walk out into the spotlight with the cheering crowds around them. The ringleader, Haley, was announcing the acts, shoving the excitement up multiple notches. "Now, for the crowning jewel of an act, the FLYING GRAYSONS! As always, they are performing without the safety of a net. Also joining them tonight, their 8-year-old son. Happy birthday little Robin. Just remember folks, tonight, we are graced in Gotham with the richest man here, Bruce Wayne. Now, on with the show!"

As always, the performance was going off without a hitch, everything leading up to the final act. A couple times, Dick thought he heard the slight creaking of wires, but wasn't sure. Finally, it was time for the finale. Letting his parents go first, Dick was able to watch his mom flip four times, then his dad. Lastly, Dick jumps off and performs the flip without a hitch, but when his parents catch him, he clearly hears a sickening sound come from the wires.

SNAP!

All Dick could feel was the falling, knowing that there was no way for him to survive the fall. His parents smile at him sadly before placing their small son on top of them, hoping to cushion his impact. Eventually, the ground greets them with a sharp stop. With multiple cracks around him, Dick felt a warm sticky substance soak into his uniform, and pain shooting across his body. Looking up slightly, Dick saw something sticking up out of his chest, and he started panicking, knowing that most likely it was his rib.

A man in a suit rushes over and pulls Dick off of his parents carefully, noticing the rib also. Quickly and carefully pushing the bone back in, the orphan screams in pain before passing out in the man's arms, hearing something that sounded like Romanian, but in too much pain to care.

Line break time, don't worry, Dick is still alive.

The pain was the first thing that Dick felt. Not the physical pain, though that was there too. No, it was the emotional pain of losing his parents. Before opening his eyes, tears were leaking down his cheeks, and a warm hand caresses his hair. A soft voice helps calm Dick down, giving him a sense of peace and comfort. "E în regulă, Dick. Nu te voi răni." (It's ok Dick. I won't hurt you.)

Slowly opening his eyes, Dick winces at the bright light. They quickly dim, and the acrobat looks around for the person who was so kind to do so. A man that he recognizes was the only other person in the room, so he assumed that was his "caretaker".

Walking over, the man sits by Dick's bed, talking in a quiet voice. I heard that you understand English, is that true?" The injured boy nods, weakly taking the man's hand, wanting that feeling of comfort back. The man smiles again and says something that made Dick give a weak smile of his own, knowing that he could trust the man.

"My name is Bruce Wayne. Many years ago, I also lost my parents. If you will let me, I would like to take you in as my adoptive son so that you don't have to face the darkness alone. Is that alright with you?

Opening his mouth and speaking in a hoarse voice, Dick gives his decision. "Da, aș dori asta." (Yes, I would like that.) With that, the boy slowly falls asleep again, trusting the kind man completely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had something before with this chapter, but then Wattpad deleted it for some reason. Hence, this is the update for today. Hope you like it and please, go ahead and comment.