Chapter 6

It was almost past noon when we were finally able to catch a chance to relax after the hectic rush hour from this morning had ended. The entire diner was almost empty now and both Edvin and I decided to take a breather, sprawling down flat on any surface we came across. Almost like the dead.

It had been a few days since I started working here and every day after morning rush hours, I was spent.

I don't think I can handle this anymore...

I blankly stared up at the ceiling, considering the wisdom in my choice to work here. It's not like farm life was any easier. It's like I signed up for a slave contract as soon as I came here.

I was lying on a three-seater couch in the Bolt's living room. Edvin was there next to me, lying flat on the bare wooden floor. Why? Because, apparently, he feels it's more relaxing down there than the fluffiness of the couch or that perfectly good sofa in the corner. Something told me he was trying to be funny and maybe sweet but I just shrugged it off, too tired to care about kind gestures.

I was in the middle of trying to figure out how this small town had so many people with enough free time to go around paying good money for breakfast which they can easily get in their own house.

It took me a moment to realize I had dozed off in the middle of my unintelligible contemplations. I blinked up at the ceiling then suddenly shot up. "How long was I out?"

"Barely ten minutes," Edvin answered from next to me, unfazed by my spasmodic movement. He was sitting cross-legged with one hand under his chin, giving me an amused look. "You sleep light."

"Uh, yeah." I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and slowly got off the couch, disregarding the fact that he was just sitting there staring at me as I slept. "I think I should head back now. I'm tired as it is, I could use some shut eye."

Edvin got up as well and opened his mouth to say something but then hesitated, lightly shaking his head like he was about to make a ridiculous offer he knew I would refuse.

Don't tell me he's thinking about asking me to stay over? 

I'll just pretend that I did not figure out what he was about to ask just now.

Instead he shifted on his feet and asked, "Would you be uncomfortable if I told you, you could sleep here whenever you like?"

"You think?! " I blurted before quickly adding, "I mean, the farmhouse is just a few minutes away. I think I can manage the walk. Or more like, I could use the walk. Ha-ha!" I laughed awkwardly as I patted my stomach, emphasizing my need to exercise then willed myself to shut up before I could embarrass myself even more.

Why would he even ask me that?! I thought he was hesitating for a good reason.

"Are you sure?" he asked again. He looked like a kid asking his mum to give him more candies even though he knew they're bad for him.

"Pretty much, yeah," I nodded, turning around to grab my bag that was resting by the side of the couch but then, without warning, Edvin caught hold of my wrist before I could. I turned around to look at him wide eyed, shocked by his sudden impulsiveness. Looking into his brown eyes I suddenly felt unprepared for what was about to come.

He looked back at me with a bafflement mirroring my own but he didn't let go. Instead he stared at me like he was searching for something.

"W-what?" I stuttered, tugging my wrist from his grasp.

Mrs. Bolt made an uncanny entrance right then that made me jump and Edvin finally let go of my wrist, looking away as he scratched the back of his head.