[XIV] CATASTROPHIC

Sara felt the ground shake a split second before all hell broke loose. 

"Ray, do you feel that?" She asked cautiously, turning to her comrade.

He started to say something that sounded vaguely like 'what' when the Earth opened up under him. A shout tore its way out of his throat before he rocketed up, the thrusters on his suit propelling him into the air, and out of the way of the fissure that was tearing up the ground before their eyes. 

And then the world exploded into deafening sound. 

Birds shrieked. The ground rumbled with deafening booms that reminded Sara of the thunder she had heard the night the Queen's yacht had sunk into the depths of the ocean. For a moment she was disoriented, and was almost knocked into the deepening cracks by a falling tree. 

That was all the wakeup call she needed. 

"Maya must be close, we have to find her!" She shouted up to Ray, who was flitting in and out of the branches of the canopy like a frantic, caged animal. 

Ray could barely hear Sara over the sound of the world falling apart, but even without her words, he could've figured the unstable meta-human was near. He hadn't been quite clear on why she was invited on their mission. As far as he knew, the only thing she left in her wake was destruction. While that might have been a good thing if it was directed at their enemies, it wasn't. And it was doing more harm than good at the moment.

In his eyes, she was more dangerous than Snart and Mick combined. They terrorized with purpose, Maya was just a loose cannon. Kendra had filled him in on all the ways she had 'helped' Central City since the night she gained her powers and the more he thought about it, the more he wanted to distance himself from the woman he was currently trying to locate. 

But there was still a little voice in his head that scolded him. He knew nothing about Maya, and if he could learn to appreciate someone like The Arrow, who had spent a whole year mercilessly killing anyone who got in his way, he could certainly give Quake a chance. That is, if he didn't die before he got to her. 

Sara watched The Atom shoot out of the forest into the open sky, and grimaced determinedly. She was going to make it to her friend, and God willing, she wasn't going to die again in the process. 

Sara knew she didn't understand any more than the basics of Maya's powers, but she was pretty sure glowing wasn't one of them, so when the forest was suddenly bathed in light, she was shocked and beyond confused. 

The light grew brighter by the second, pulsing with an energy that almost felt alive. Sara's eyes were barely open as she raced across the crumbled dirt. She was very aware of the fact that the ground had stopped shaking, and that it had happened just as the light burst into being, but she didn't have time to puzzle out what was going on. Her feet were carrying her so fast, she felt like she was back on the streets of Starling City, chasing down some lowly criminal. The thought was equally painful and inspiring, and somehow she pushed herself to fly across the ground even faster. 

She broke through the barrier of the trees and stopped dead in her tracks. She came to a halt so quickly it was a miracle she didn't get whiplash. 

Sara couldn't believe her eyes, and she blinked wildly in an attempt to clear her vision. But what she was seeing was raw, and it was real. Maya was kneeling on the ground, palms lodged firmly in the dirt, and she was glowing brighter than the sun. 

Even from a distance, Sara had to shield her eyes. 

She could see the light running up through her friend's veins, and she could see it spreading throughout her whole body. Maya's hair was like living fire. Each strand looked like liquid gold, and it was floating above her hair like she was submerged in water.

Out of the corner of her eye, Sara could see Ray hovering above the ground a few hundred yards away, but she didn't really care. Her eyes were fixed on Maya. 

It was all either of them could see, they were transfixed by the sheer insanity of the scene in front of them. They were too scared to move. So they stayed frozen until the world exploded into darkness again.