Chapter Two - Antiques

Start from the beginning

Despite my initial unsuccessful attempts, I remained hopeful. After all, my failures hadn't been due to lack of experience or willingness.

Unfortunately I quickly realised my first downfall. This was a small town, and small towns meant limited jobs.
I needed luck, and timing, both to which weren't usually within my vocabulary.

By midday, I stood in the streets, hungry, but undeterred. This was what needed to be done, I would not allow myself to fail. I had survived through so much already, I would not give up yet, I would not be so weak.

Giving a sigh. I continued walking, until a shop window caught my attention.
It was sparkling clean, the sunlight reflecting off the golden letters painted across the front. I stood in front of it, staring, my reflection staring back.

Printed on the window was a title. The words flowing with elegance, slightly curling in a classy fashion.

'Ruby's Antiques'

It was an old shop, the structure wooden, paint chipped and roof tiles broken. It added character and it was what had soon drawn me in with curiosity.

Through the window I could see the contents of the store. Neatly organised upon various desks, tabletops and benches were antique collectibles, in all sorts of eras and conditions.

It varied from homewares to antique dolls, to lamps, glassware, chairs, tables, candles, mirrors and large hand carved picture frames.

I walked towards the entry glass door, pushing it open as a small bell rang signalling my arrival. Inside, the smell of lavender grew thick, blissful.
Once inside, I could now see further objects of sale, couches with floral patterns, intricately designed plates and figurines. There were mannequins decorated in beautiful dresses fit for Queens, from wedding wear to casual wear.

Around the walls, hung painted pictures, some of people, portraits, some of gentle landscapes. I couldn't help but stare, wander like a small child would at a circus.
It was overwhelmingly beautiful.

"Hello, can I help you?" An almost angelic voice broke through as my mind came down from the clouds, turning in the direction of the reception desk

"Oh, hi, um, my name is Rosie, I have just moved here and I came across.. well, this" I stumbled, still feeling like I had dropped into another world

"Okay" She said slowly "And what do you make of it so far?"

I looked towards her, feeling rude, snapping my thoughts together

"Sorry" I mumbled, taking notice of her features.
She looked young, just as young as I was. Her hair was light, sandy blonde, her eyes a sweet baby blue.
She instantly appeared to be the opposite of me, just like Clora was.

"Do you have a manager here at the moment?" I asked, smiling towards her as her eyes watched me

"Not at the moment, did you want me to pass on a message?" She asked, polite and professional

"Sure, okay, I am just looking for a job and I was kind of wondering if there were any positions available here" I told her

"Actually" She began, looking down at her computer screen as she clicked away "We have just had an employee begin maternity leave, so we could use a casual sales assistant during her absence?" She smiled, looking back up at me

"Wow, that's great!" my mood heightened

"I would just need you to fill some paperwork out firstly.." She trailed off, shovelling through some papers before pulling out two sheets