Chapter 1

Christina's POV

Apparently people used to have freedom, that's what I've heard anyway. We used to be able to pick our own jobs, where we lived and what we did. You see my dad is one of the world leaders, he's part of X. He doesn't let me off any easier though.

"Christina! stop wondering about and get inside!" He said

"Yes sir" I said sounding half dead, you may think I was being sarcastic to him, I wasn't, I have to call him sir I've never been allowed to call him dad.

"Without the attitude"

"Yes sir" I said again.

"Better, now go study"

"What's the point? You're going to pick my job anyway, this world is so stupid, I have the ability to make decisions"

I'm nearly 18 which means my life is about to change, I'm about to get my first and my last boring as heck job. I know my dad will only pick something to keep me "grounded", they all think I'm crazy.

I went to the study room where my cousin Lara sat, studying her butt off as per usual.

"Ugh!" She said frustrated.

"You're dividing, you're meant to multiply" I told her.

"Why do you rebel so much? You're clever"

I shrugged "maybe it's the answer in a world like this"

"Well you're getting no where" she sniggered.

"Right now I'm not but that's because I'm a junior X human, soon I'll be a working X human, they won't see me as QUITE so pathetic, well only a bit but a bit is enough sometimes"

It's weird how we're called "X humans" like we belong to them and only them, we aren't treated as if we're people as well, we're like their little minions. It seems if we were programmed everyone else in the world programmed like:

Work
Work
Work
Work

However I feel different, like that's not the only thing I think about.

"Whatever" Lara replied she finished the question, multiplying this time. "Why are you always right? Ugh"

"Never thought I'd hear you say that" I laughed. Taking a seat and getting out my phone.

"You're dad said you're not allowed one" Lara gasped.

"Shut up and he won't know"

Phones are only meant for simple things, like communicating with people in you're own area, however my father's phone does so much more, I've seen it. I want to hack this phone so that it can do more, not just for the fun of it, I don't trust X, I need to see what they're doing. That's why I'm not allowed one because my dad knows I'll do something like that. Yet I'm 17.

"You're so kind Christina" she said sarcastically

"Sorry, I just hate how X run this world" I got up, grabbed some stuff and ran out of the large building, not even home, it's so big it's as if it could swallow me up into a black hole. Paparazzi were everywhere because of my dad being a world leader.

"Christina! How does it feel to be nearly 18?!"

"Is it true you go against your dad's orders?!"

"Christina!!!!"

"Is it true you hate X?!?!"

They surrounded me with questions of all kinds, I pushed through and out into the world. I need to get away. I looked at the money in my pocket. $600 I guess I have enough to take a cheap flight somewhere. Maybe Nashville, I've been there, it's nice, face enough away. I looked at my clothes, I took off my glasses and put on some sunglasses, I put my hood up, put my hair more into my face. Hopefully no one will recognise me. I drove to the airport and booked a flight to Nashville. I kept my head down.

2 hours later

"Flight to Nashville Tennessee now boarding" I walked to the gate. The whole flight I was hiding away. I got there and quickly got my bag and left.

"Danielle shut your mouth right now!" A man shouted, he slapped the girl who I'm guessing was called Danielle. Danielle had dark brown hair. She was really pretty. She looked about 8

"No! I know you're not my family! I can tell! I mean look at me, I don't look anything like you! You treat me like crap!" She ran off. I looked in her direction as she hit a door and blacked out. Her "family" walked away. I walked to her knowing what it's like to have a sucky family.

I knelt beside her, she soon woke up.

"Who are you?" She asked

"No one, I just know what it's like to not fit into your family" I said, not looking up.

"Can we go somewhere less crowded?" She asked

"Yeah"

Dani's POV

This girl's kinda mysterious, she has sunglasses on, her hood up and her hair covers most her face. At least she helped me. We got out into the car park. I rubbed my head, she gave me some water and some damp tissue. We sat in a corner till I felt better. She removed the sunglasses and pushed her hair back.

"You're Christina Willson aren't you?" I exclaimed.

"Shh, no one can know I'm here" she replied "do you know anywhere I can stay that costs nothing?"

"Um there's this place. Completely abandoned, I go there sometimes"

Christina's POV

We started walking, it felt like ages.

"I'm Danielle by the way, but I prefer Dani. I'm 8" she's so mature for her age.

"I'm Christina, just think of me as anyone else because I hate how people treat me different because of my dad. I'm 17 nearly 18"

"Oh so you're gonna have your job chosen soon"

"Yeah, I hate the way it works. I don't want to do a job someone else picked for me for the most of my life"

"Same" Dani replied "sorry to be nosey but why are you in Nashville, don't you live in LA or something?"

"Yeah, I needed to get away"

"So you just got on a plane? I wish I could do that"

"But it's harder for me to get away with being here, someone will find me sooner or later, I'm basically dead by then, trust me X are worse than people say"

"True"

We arrived, it was a large house, it's like people were in the middle of living their lives when it was left, creepy.

I looked at my phone, it was an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Christina, we know where you are, don't think you can run forever, your little friend will get it if you don't watch out" a deep voice said.

"They know where I am!" I panicked.

"What the heck? How?" Dani said confused.

"They just know, we have to leave! You probably shouldn't come with me, thanks for the help but you'll only be in danger"

"I have no where else to go! You saw how they left me!"

"Okay c'mon" I ran, I looked back to see if the younger girl was following, she was steadily behind. I saw a car, it was open and the key was in there. Again, creepy. I jumped in and Dani jumped in shotgun. I started driving.

"Where are we going?" Dani asked

"I don't know but do you have any food?" I asked. She nodded.

"I sleep there sometimes, I grabbed this before we left"

It was a bag full of food and everything we needed to survive for a while.

"Great" I smiled. I drove for a long time.

"You'll regret running" a voice said. Dani jumped. Then she realised it came from my phone.

"Dani, throw it out the window" I whispered in case they could hear me. She did and it went into another car.