Meet Cute.-Redone

Riley.

Okay, look I'm not proud of my frantic nature. That's typically not me. On average I'm a down to earth, relaxed and good natured female. Today, oh today however, I'm like a chicken with my head cut off and my best friend Maya, has no problem pointing it out to me either. "Riles, calm down. Seriously! You're drivin' me bonkers at this point. Why are you acting insane?" Her ice blue eyes cut to me through the mirror as she puts on a gold toned geometric necklace. Correction, my geometric necklace. 

Ignoring that she once again raided my jewelry box, I continue to get ready and slip on my heels. "Because, Maya it has been ten years since we intentionally ran into our old classmates." Well, ten years and a few months. Our senior class president had to have it at the Anatole Hotel and it was booked up a few months past our actual graduation month. "I want to put my best foot forward. I've changed a lot -

"You still freak out over silly things, that hasn't changed," she mumbles under her breath while collapsing into my cream colored chair. My room is everything to me. I knew that as a drill team instructor and high school principal I needed my bedroom to be a sanctuary. I've got a strict rule of NO work in this space and it is non negotiable. My room consists of creams and whites, with subtle hints of black and gold. 

My chair that Maya is cozied up in is oversized and so cozy with a chunky knit blanket that doesn't do much to keep you warm but is so soft and gorgeous. A full length golden framed mirror leans against the wall beside it, its legs hidden by the fake succulent on the ground. "Physically Maya," I respond intentionally ignoring the sarcasm thrown my way. "I've physically changed."

Shaking her head like dealing with me is more difficult than a toddler, her lips fall into a flat line. "You've always been gorgeous Riles." I know she means it too, that's why she's my best friend. Maya has been my ride or die for as long as I can remember, beauty for her is truly in the heart and I've always strived to be a good person. 

Not to toot my own horn. Toot, toot. 

I nod in agreement, understanding what she's truly trying to say. "Thank you darlin'. But, even you have to admit that I've done well for myself." Her gaze relaxes before rolling her captivating eyes at my obvious attempt to lighten the mood. I've always been thin, my family always jokes it's a special trait our genes have but my body was like a literal ruler. No curve, whatsoever. I was ecstatic when a few years ago the weight training for women phase hit.

I was so interested that I spent an entire summer studying meal plans, and the best way I could train to mold my body into what I wanted. I'm no longer as skinny as a rail, I've now been blessed with a large curve in my butt, muscular thighs and cut lines throughout the rest of my frame. "I'll admit baby doll, those coke bottle glasses you had were pretty bad." I visibly flinch at the reminder of those assholes. 

"Lasik was a godsend."

Leaning over she slips on her white Vans that somehow always remain in pristine condition, "Riles, you are the sweetest girl I know. Why on earth do you give a flyin' fart what our classmates from high school think or have to say?" Immediately, my face burns with embarrassment. I can basically feel the red that my skin has turned. "Oh! Not that tool! Riley, if he didn't want you in high school he sure as hell doesn't deserve you now." Maya is my biggest hype man but I truly feel like she's blinded to my flaws.

I stand now that I've grabbed my purse off my faux marble nightstand, adjusting the fabric of my dark purple dress to mid thigh. Anything to not look her in the eye. I'd fallen in love with said tool the moment I laid eyes on him our senior year, his feelings were not requited but I don't blame him. Lucas Friar, internal sigh, was my one that got away. "First of all you grump, Lucas wasn't a tool. He was always so kind to me, hell he was kind to everyone. It was his friends that were a bunch of freakin' assholes. I'm hoping that hasn't changed. But, honestly about half the kids in my school are a bunch of little assholes."