Prologue

"Paisley, I don't know how to tell you this."

"Out with it doc," I demand.

"You're dying," he says, "You have at least 4 months."

I know I'm supposed to be sad or cry but, instead I say, "Oh cool."

Dr. Woods gives me a confused and sympathetic look.

"Paisley, I know this is hard," he stands up and hands me a brochure, "Here, take this."

I look at the brochure he's forcibly handed to me and three words in bold writing captures my attention immediately.

Cancer Support Group

I stare at him for what seems to be an eternity as he evidently tries to avoid my gaze. It's funny watching him get all uncomfortable.

"I hate you," I blurt out and walk out of the room.

Right when I leave the room, I hear my mother's voice call out my name.

"How did it go?" My mother asks me with bloodshot eyes.

She's been crying.

And in that moment, tears start streaming down my face. Letting my emotions spill out of me like an erupting volcano.

Seeing my mother so hurt and sad made this all real. I can't leave her behind like this, she's got nobody else.

"I have stage four cancer. I have stage four cancer. I have stage four cancer," I repeat to myself over and over.

My mother runs toward me and hugs me tightly. Her tears are falling onto my shoulder and it doesn't take long for my shirt to be completely wet.

"I'm sorry honey, I should've known sooner. We could've gotten you treatment and you would still-"

"Mom it's okay, there was nothing we could've done to stop it," I smile at her.

That was 4 months ago...