War Prisoner Chapter 94

Author: 梨花烟雨(Li Hua Yan Yu) /Lê Hoa Yên Vũ

.

Disclaimer: I own nothing; this is for yaoi fan with no finance gain. Please support the original author in the full website.

.

---
War Prisoner Chapter 94

It has to be said that Su Yi did indeed hesitate for a long time over the decision. He instinctively wanted to go along and have a listen; after all, he had been a general and had spent quite a few years of his life engaged in strife on battlefields. Moreover, this matter would also affect the lives of the common people living along the border. But at this time, he was no longer a general and if he were to accompany Wanyan Xu other people might disapprove, although Su Yi did not mind going. Therefore, he vacillated.

Wanyan Xu could guess at his thoughts, and giving a slight smile, he said: "Zi Nong and Zi Yan, both of you help Su Su along, he shall come with me [1]." So saying, he headed off and the two people at his back quickly took to busying themselves with helping Su Yi.  

It turned out that a small neighbouring country --- the country of Xiao Ling --- that was on Jin Liao's western border, having seen that the livelihood of the people living in Jin Liao had become more prosperous because of Wanyan Xu's policy of lowering taxation, had surreptitiously hatched a wicked idea. They had mounted a sneak attack with their army, intending to capture a few cities and engage in a spree of looting. But they had not anticipated that what when it came to managing his empire, what Wanyan Xu placed most importance on was national defence. Although there were not very many soldiers guarding the border, they were no longer useless troops like the shrimp soldiers and crab generals [2] of the Great Qi and so the attackers had failed to capture any city. The ruler of that small neighbouring country was a reckless warlord. When he saw that his attack had failed, his anger was roused and relying on the fact that the people of his country were in large part valiant and well-versed in martial arts, he decided that he might as well openly declare war on Jin Liao. Therefore, the general in charge of defending the border had sent his deputy with all haste to the capital to request for reinforcements.

Wanyan Xu gave a "humph" and said: "That barbaric small country, to think that it actually dares to challenge the military might of my Celestial Empire." So saying, he gave a low "hmm" as he pondered. In discussion with Su Yi, he said: "In your opinion, what should we do about this? Although I already have a stratagem in mind, I still want to hear your recommendations first." His tone of voice was wholly serious and grave, leaving no doubt that he was not treating Su Yi at all like a member of the Inner Court, but that he was engaging in an important discussion with a trusted confidant.

Su Yi knew of his intentions, and his heart was moved. Wanyan Xu trusted him so much and was always looking out for his best interests; if he were to continue shirking the discussion because of some trivial considerations, then he really would be undeserving of the deep respect and affection that Wanyan Xu bore for him. Therefore he also replied soberly: "Although the neighbouring country is small, but because it is composed of a race of nomads, her people prize martial prowess and spend much time practicing martial arts. Therefore their military strength must not be underestimated. During the time I was stationed along the border, I already heard of them sending raids to harass the common people but because I had to guard against your forces, I did not dare to send any of my troops there to provide assistance. But because they also knew that my command was very close to that area, they did not dare to launch a massive attack that would be sure to meet with reprisal. Therefore the situation dragged on like that. Now, they have dispatched their army without due consideration, although it is not an ideal situation for them, we still must not make the mistake of being complacent. A capable high-ranking military official should be sent to carry out a direct attack, if we cannot annihilate them in a single spurt of energy, I'm afraid that the people of Xiao Ling, who are so fond of violence and plunder, would become a great thorn in our side in future."