Chapter 1

I woke up today more nervous than I have ever been in my during my entire residency at Seattle Grace Hospital. Excuse me Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital. This stupid merger was happening today hence my nervousness. This merger meant job cuts so I would have to be on top of my A-game to show those Mercy Westers that I'm not one to be messed with. I lay in bed trying to ease my nerves when my long time best friend, basically my other half Alex Karev burst in the room. Alex and I have been friends ever since we were younger with both grew up with shitty parents and had to protect ourselves and siblings and when we couldn't handle it any more we ran away to make a life for ourselves. To most people Alex would seem like an asshole but that's just because he's been through a lot of family problems.

Alex threw a pillow at me"Malika get your ass up we gotta go. "

"Alex, I'm getting up. Give me 10 minutes I'll be ready.

"Okay but you better hurry." Alex said as he was exiting the room.

I got out of bed and went to get ready to start this long day. I left my room and met Alex downstairs in the kitchen grabbed an apple and we headed out the door. We soon reached SGMW and entered the elevator. As Alex and I got on the elevator we noticed a guy with orange scrubs get on with his friend. Alex gave me a knowing look. It's begun. The Westers are coming in little by little.

As we got off and went to the lockers to get changed to begin our day. We walk in we saw a sea of orange scrubs and a few blue. I went over to Izzie to say hi. Izzie is Alex's wife and she's been battling cancer.

"Hey Izzie. How you been? "

"Great. Other than the fact that every time I turn I see a Wester."

We laugh and I start to get changed when I notice a girl with a red short hair cut put her stuff in George's locker. George was a one out friends we made doing the first year of residency and he had recently passed away saving a woman's life.

Izzie and I shared a look. I was about to say something but Izzie beat me to it.

"Hey can you not put your stuff in that locker. Please and thanks" Izzie said with a friendly smile.

The red head turned around with an attitude and refused to move her shit. That's when we started to get mad.

"Hey she asked you to move you crap nicely now I'm telling you move your crap or I move you."

Red turns around and tells her friend. "Great, I get the crazy one next to me"

That's when we lost it. We both lunged after her but were held back. I saw Alex holding Izzie back and pulling her away so I was wondering who was holding me back. I get pulled to a corner and turn to see the most gorgeous man ever. My anger slowly melts away. His stunning blue/green eyes and Carmel skin. I look down to observe him some more and I notice the ugly orange scrubs and I immediately shifted my attitude to one of annoyance.

"Dude why did you pull me away. I was about to rearrange her face."

He laughed and said "That's exactly why although I don't like Reed that's one of my Mercy West people and you and blondie seemed like you were gonna damage."

It's my turn to laugh. " Well she needs to learn to listen there's a reason we asked her not to put her stuff in that locker. I'm Malika."

"I'm Jackson. Jackson Avery. Why didn't you want her to out her stuff in that locker?"

I was about to answer but then I got a page. " I'll answer that another time but for now I gotta run. Catch you later pretty boy."

He smirked and said"Pretty boy?"

"Yeah that's your new nickname." I said as I ran out the room.