Chapter 1: "I hate you"

Regular POV

A messenger arrived at your house. Zane, the second Prince of Okhasis, had called you from your home to the castle. As part of a noble family, you were required to attend. And you were glad to, after all, he was your best friend...

Right?

You raced out of your bed, clutching a brown satchel at your waist as the door slammed behind you. The dirt smudged under your boots from last nights rainfall. It had been some time since you were called upon by Zane, and you wondered what he wanted.

Maybe he wanted advice? Answers to detailed questions? You squealed at the thought of your comrade needing you again. It has been some time since he had asked for your guidance.

The castle grew closer in your view, huge and demanding. You pit-stopped at the gate. A familiar face, cloaked in a scarf, greeted you.

"Hello Y/n"

He welcomed you with his raspy voice.

It was calmer than usual, you thought.

Was that a good sign? Whatever it was, you were glad.

"It's nice to see you again, Zane. What do you need?"

You asked, looking up at him. Despite all things, he always managed to be taller than you.

"Don't rush anything, we can discuss what I desire in my quarters"

He answered. And with a gesture to the castle, you both walked inside.

~~~~~~~~~

Your POV

Zane's room was always particularly large, or at least bigger than my room. The walls were covered in bookshelves, all of which we had read from. His bed was a decent size too, for one person. The floors had a checkerboard pattern. A big wooden desk lied in the center of the room. As we entered, he quickly took a seat in his chair.

"So, what do you need?"

I asked him, smiling wide. I set down my bag and sat across from him, directly facing his desk. A small smirk could be seen from the scarf hiding his face.

"I have a proposition for you, Y/N, and I think you will enjoy it thoroughly."

His eye stared directly into mine, it had been forever since I felt this way. This feeling of

Weakness

I shook a bit, mustering the courage to say something. The way he worded his sentence,

Was it the proposal I was thinking of?

"What is it?" I asked quietly, waiting for the words.

"I want you to join me, and become one of the Jury of Nine."

Those were not the words I wanted to hear.

I almost fell back in my chair.

Me? In the Jury of Nine?! I had heard of the treacherous things they committed in the past, could Zane be behind all of it?

Was I this blind?

Countless villages gone in an instant. Kings and queens dying to a silent killer. Was I that daft?! To not know or think that my best friend, was one of the people who committed these crimes?

"What?! No! I could never! They, they've done awful things Zane. Killed thousands of people. How could I ever do that?!"

I asked, shaking my head constantly. Zane suddenly grabbed my skull, steadying it, and looking into my eyes intently.

"I knew you would say that, but that's not the only proposal I have for you."

His smirk returned to his lips as our faces parted ways. He turned his back to me, snapping and gazing into his window.

"You probably don't know this.. But I am the head of the Jury. All they do, I tell them too. That's that"

He started.

My suspicions were true.

He looked back at me.

"However, they aren't achieving my ultimate goal."

At this, I swallowed harshly. If murdering millions of people wasn't his goal, then what was?!

He noticed my troubled look, rolling his eyes.

"You helped me quite a bit in my years of solitude, answering every question I asked you. I'm offering you a chance of a lifetime..."

He neared my face once again

"To join me as I become the new Shadow Lord".

At this, I stopped breathing entirely.

"The Shadow Lord?! Are you insane? No one can achieve that Zane. Not even you. You aren't even close to having what powers he claimed. The amount of people he killed didn't make him any better."

I stood up from my chair and started shouting at him, all of my rage came forth.

"All those people.. Is this what you're trying to achieve! You.. I can't believe this."

My eyes started to water. He couldn't do this. He was so nice to me. He couldn't be the murderer of millions. He had a heart. He cared about people. Was this all just a ploy? Was he using me? Is this all I mean to him?

Was our friendship... A lie?

"Y-you're a monster.."

Those words.

I regretted them as soon as they left my mouth.

Within an instant, Zane let his own anger take control.

"After everything I've done for you? After all we've been through? You think I'm the monster?"

He gripped his chair below him, his expression turned livid.

"You blew it. I thought I could trust you, I couldn't be more wrong. You can't trust anything to anyone in this world. That's why I am going to destroy it."

His anger wouldn't subside, I was soon backed into a wall. I blocked my eyes. I couldn't watch as he became someone I didn't know, someone I didn't trust.

Someone I couldn't call my friend.

He quickly noticed this, quieting down and turning his back to me.

"Leave."

He said, I was already opening the door when he uttered his last words to me.

"I hate you"

Those words stuck with me as I raced out of the castle, forgetting my bag, tears streaming down my face.
I just wanted to go.

Whatever I brought, didn't matter. I exited the castle and ran as far as I could.

But I could have sworn I heard Zane crying as I left.

----------------

Admin time!
Thank you for reading!
As for the shadow lord thing? It's an AU. We still don't know Zanes FULL plans with the Irene Dimension at this point as I'm writing it, so I just made that part up. I still hope you like it!
I'll continue writing more in the future!