Chapter 16

Winn's POV

The sun's rays were barely poking through the horizons. Streetlights had already provided their lights into the hustling road. And as darkness launch into my surrounding, aggravating noise keep me out of my deep pondering. I closed my car's window, lessening the troublesome clamor from the busy streets. My chest heaves as anticipation dreadfully eats my system. The traffic light hits on green and the cars upfront starts to move and so I began to hit the gas.

It's only been 3 days since I've gone out and I've never been so unsettle in my life until now. Being not around with Hope makes it even hard for me to concentrate to build up fast and significant excuses which I will say to where I will be heading. Damn it. I mentally cursed myself as I remember the call I got from someone earlier this morning.

My right hand was still shaky from the horrifying thing which I've done to my beloved. I clutch my smartphone tightly on my other hand as I exit Hope's room. I calmed myself down before I took another glance at the screen of my phone which deciphers a clear imprint of the caller's I.D.

Unregistered number

I grunt at its sight. It's my first time receiving a call from an unknown person and I was sure that my phone number was extremely exclusive only for certain people. My phone continued to shake and it leaves me with no choice but to answer it. I waited for a few seconds until an unfamiliar voice was heard from the other line.

"Is this Clifford Winchester?" the man asked.

I hesitated to answer back but still did. "Yes. And who's this?" I grimly noted.

"Ah, this is Officer Jonathan Jones from the local police department of Southmon. Sorry for the early call Mr. Winchester but this call is urgent and solemnly needed for the search of Hope Carson. We've got some information that you happened to know this person, am I right?"

I paused for a second before I calmly answered. "Yes, she's my best friend. Did something happen to her?"

"Sadly, sir." there's silence for a while. "...and as for the help of our investigation, we will be holding a short inquiry for the people whom happened to be close to her. Can we expect your cooperation this 7 in the evening, Mr. Winchester?" Jones voice was laced with threat, as if leaving me with no choice.

I clench my fists, knuckles cracking out from my hands. "Certainly officer. Anything for Hope." I kept my voice low.

"Thank you." He said before ending the call.

I put my phone down, my fists' still clenched. How did they know my number? Are they starting to suspect something foul? I shook my head. No, that can't be. I planned all of this perfectly. I assured myself. But if they happened to know my number... then they could also...

My eyes narrowed at the sudden idea. I began to walked heavily back to the dim room and busted the door open. I saw Hope's terrified expression as I walk closer to her. "We're leaving." I announced as I walk into the bedside table and open the drawer, pulling out a sedative to help her fall asleep.

I drove my car in front of the police station. Before I hop out of my car, I look myself from the rear-view mirror and stare at my reflection. I can tell from the look of my eyes that I am disrupted and anxious from my current situation, which will definitely lead to a highly suspecting. And if I will continue to look like this, everything will be ruined and I won't let that happen. I should be looking concern, sorrowful or anything which looks unsuspecting. I stared at my dark eyes and walk out of my car.