Chapter 51- Revelations

Deeks' POV

The blinding headlights of the approaching car snapped my mind back into place. I quickly swerved off the side of the highway, into a shallow ditch. Slamming on the brakes, I pressed against the seatbelt and jolted back. My heart was racing and my fingers, quivering. I needed to calm down, process what was happening before I got myself killed.

Over and over in my head, I told myself what was happening. 

'Kensi was shot, I killed the shooter. Kensi is dying, I need to get to her.'

It almost seemed unreal, like this was all a dream, and I was going to wake up at any minute in my bed with Kensi lying in my arms. 

The blood that was covering my clothes told me otherwise.

My fingers stopped shaking, and I pulled back onto the vacant road. The hospital was just a few more minutes away. My mind flashed back to before the gun went off.

"To us." I said, raising my glass up. "We're the best team in the country, everyone just doesn't know we're there."

Apparently someone knew Kensi was there.

"Cheers!" Our glasses clinked together, and we all took a long sip of the refreshing beverage. I squeezed Kensi's hand, finally able to be with her in front of Sam and Callen.

Why did that perfect moment have to end?

"Kensi." A man yelled from across the bar. 

He ruined everything.

The sound of breaking glass came next, followed by the shot of a gun. Kensi's fingers had just brushed the butt of her gun when she was hit. 

She didn't even have a chance.

"KENSI!" I screamed. The entire bar had melted away into a blurry haze. It was just me and the shooter now. He aimed in my direction, and I didn't hesitate to blow his brains out.

If I just kept the bastard alive we would know why Kensi had to go through this. Why she was fighting for her life. Then again, he shot my partner in cold blood. No one gets away with that.

"Deeks..." She whimpered.

I can still hear the weakness in her voice as she called out to me. It's haunting.

"I love you Deeks, always remember that." She managed to say, her eyes beginnig to flutter closed. 

"No, no, NO KENSI. You have to stay awake, you have to fight!" 

It was stupid of me to have to tell her to fight. Kensi always fights. This was no exception. She was awake far longer than she should have with the severity of her wound. I guess my silly little story did help a little. 

"What happens next?"  She asked as her pulse was weakening.

"I'll let you know when I find out for myself." I whispered, outloud. "When I find out for myself."

*^*

Kensi's POV

After the first shot, everything turned into a blur. I completely forgot about my gun and shock took over. At first, I didn't feel anything. No pain, no nothing. Then after Deeks killed him, it all set in. The agonizing, white-hot, blazing pain shooting through me. I've been shot numerous times before, but this time was somehow different. Maybe it was the severity of the wound, or maybe all the screaming civilians. Either way, I was actually scared for what the outcome would be.